what do you wish you'd known?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
I have just got my hands on a fridge and am about to start kegging, so newbie to both kegging and kegerators. For all you keggers and builders out there, what is one thing you wish you'd known prior to your first build/keg?

I wish I'd known about it earlier...

fear leaky co2 fitting$ and don't fear force carbing or a Pluto gun or two

Black Devil Dog said:
Don't buy cheap knock off imitation John Guest fittings. But the real thing, available from site sponsors.
or cheap KK disconnects, or cheap KK beer line, or a pluto gun over a picnic tap

Force carbing takes a few days. High pressure and shaking is for desperation only.

Check for leaks at all parts of the system

Buy once, cry once on a good regulator

The John guest fittings are good but there are mixed reviews about leak resilience. I've had a couple of negative experiences, others have had none in forever years (a nod to the comments above, all quality components would probably overcome this, I had the cheap kk line)

Learn about pressure drop and line lengths for tap systems when designing your kegerator

Respect CO2. It can kill you by a) stored energy, b ) asphyxiation

Choose the check valves. Accidental reverse flow when moving pressures can damage your reg and contaminate your gas lines. They're too cheap not to apply them for a newbie.

Be excited: it is like a king bed, or two monitors. You will never ever look back.

Find the mini keg bulk buy MKIV and get on board in Feb.

Check for leaks on all parts of your system...;)

I have 5 perlick flow control taps nothing but trouble dad have 4 picnic taps never had a problem! Don't get caught up in the marketing!

Mine leak out the top near the handle and the spout need to rebuild them weekly even if I only drink Friday Saturday and Sunday... Painful

2nd hand kegs can be a pain in the ass so try not to buy sight unseen (I got mine delivered) after replacing all the seals and the lids and the posts I should have just brought new to start with :p which I will be doing going forwards. Also the fact that after many many cleans I can still not get the smell of softdrink syrup out of them

I currently have 4 19L ball lock cornys

Buy decent taps, I have a Perlick 650ss and have just ordered some of the flow controlled intertaps as I thought I would give them a go, Would have preferred the perlicks but the gf said no as I have a wedding to save for :s ($83 vs $120 complete isn't that much difference except to her :s)

Tread tape everything and use good tube, I use 5mm Inner Dia & 8mm Outer Dia from cheeky peak

Many good things said already which I won't repeat.

Use keg lube on all the internal keg seals: lid, PRV, dip tube, gas tube seal if any, and poppet seals. I haven't found the seals on the posts to be an issue. Fully 3/4 of my keg issues have been solved by lubing the seals.

Also, buy good equipment and your chance of issues drops dramatically. My first disconnects were cheap and often had slow leaks. Once I started buying Cornelius disconnects, no more problems. Definitely in Zorco's buy once, cry once zone.

Andale DA taps are awesome. I prefer them to any others I've tried, but a string of highly carbed beers has shown me the potential value of Perlick flow control taps.

If you don't buy flow control taps you'll need to learn about line balancing - especially if you serve beers at different carb levels. Seems complex at first, but once you've settled on which size beer line for your system, it's quite straightforward.

Also, ball locks are far more common than pinlocks. Makes sharing easier.

And always purge your kegs of air before you put your beer in. Fill with CO2. Release gas, or rather pull the PRV until the keg empties. Fill with beer. Add CO2 to needed pressure. Release the PRV. Fill. Release. Fill. Release. Fill and leave to carb. That way you use some cheap CO2 and get beer that lasts a lot longer before it starts to go south.

The first fill and purge uses a lot. The subsequent ones, very little.

check the gauge of your lines before you buy your regs/C02 splitter, etc. I bought a 4 ways C02 splitter only to find it was designed for 8mm but my lines where only 6mm, forced the bastards on but was a PITA.

If you drill into a fridge, make sure you are certain where the gas lines are.

Oh, and I love my perlick flow control taps. Brilliant bit of kit. Worth the outlay IMHO.

Cheap taps, though no huge regrets as they were only $10 and I still have for when I take a keg out of the house, I will probably put them in to a portable keg esky one day.

Also in my keezer build, who would have thought 2 taps wouldn't be enough? Stepping stones... one of these days, when I can get a hold of a big ass fridge or freezer.

nosco said:
Are other people using lube on silicone seal/o rings? Sorry ot.
Apply lube liberally

(that's what she said)

Robbo2234 said:
Mine leak out the top near the handle and the spout need to rebuild them weekly even if I only drink Friday Saturday and Sunday... Painful
I've never had a leak there, are you sure you aren't over-tightening the top of the tap?

Back