What Do You Wash Your Beer Glasses In? Am I Stuffed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
idophor that contains phoshoric acid (not all do), is used primarilly in the dairy industry to remove calcium deposits, in other industries to remove mineral deposits, not to remove fats, soaps, detergents etc that gives a low surface tension to your beer and kills beer head. I really can't see beer glasses holding deposits of calcium etc.
I'm not 100% sure but 99% that idophors made for the food industry, except for dairy, contain no added acids.
If you use it to sterlize, organics like protien and the like actually bind to the iodine and making it usless for sanitizing aswell.
It can enter micro organisms easily and thats why it's a good sanitiser, but not a crash hot cleaner.

Nothing wrong with dishwater and a rinse. Sanitising bottles is a big enough job as it is. No need to throw glasses in as well!

Hotwater rinse and air dry most of the time. NeoPink if they start to give trouble.

Cheers,
Greg

dishwasher seems to do a fair enough job. I rarely get any residual bubbles clinging to the side of the glass which is usually a good indicator of a poorly washed glass.

Just don't use rinse aid.

We were at a BBQ with my tripel that has a *huge* head ... but not that day.
Finally traced it down to the finish the hosts used in the dishwasher.

SWMBO washes my glasses with the rest of the washing up - just with normal washing up detergent

And rinses with hot water and they are left to drip dry on the rack

She reckons that hot water is the secret

I've never questioned this

Never had an issue with head retention with my glasses

I did back in the K+K days before I started using grains

I've heard that filling with bi-carb solution gets the glasses clear and new looking

Cheers

Mine just get washed up with the rest of the dishes. Although I make sure that they get washed first so reduce the chance of any oils cleaned off the dishes, pans etc can end up in the glasses. Even though soap breaks down oil it can only do so much.

Besides if I had any other special requests, the glasses would just be pushed to the side and get " Do it yourself then!" :p

This is all a bit Anal IMHO.

Who really cares about head retention? I drink the beer not the head - the flavour is in the pint not the froth.

To each there own I guess.

RM

When I lived with my parents we had a dishwasher, it had a rinse aid reservoir so I couldnt exactly remove the rinse aid to and run a cycle for a few beer glasses.

Ever since then I havent had a dishwasher, so I dont make it any harder by not using one.

Back