What Do You Wash Your Beer Glasses In? Am I Stuffed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
I bought some new schooner glasses today, the standard pub type, for a birthday I got comin up.

Which only cost me $1.35 each (BARGAIN)!!

Well I decided to give em a good clean before I used em.

I had been reading that some of you guys use Napisan to clean stuff, so I used about a teaspoon of Coles Napisan and around 10 litres of hot water.
I soaked them for around ten minutes, hand washed em around, then rinsed them well, with cold water and let drain, then refridgerated.

Well I poured a beer in them from my second brew this arvo, the brew was a little undercarbed, due to bulk priming using Dex and not using enough, and the beer has held a little head in other glasses, but in my new Napisan cleaned schooner glass was DEAD FLAT within 1 minute or so.

WHAT HAVE I DONE????

and

HOW DO I FIX IT????

I just realised I used Napisan on some dirty long necks I bought from the LHBS last night.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did give them a good flush with water afterwards and then a soak and bottle brush with BLEACH/VINEGAR solution, then another rinse with water, before leaving them to dry on my bottle tree.

HAVE I STUFFED MY BOTTLES TOO????????

if so

HOW DO I FIX EM?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........................all my hard work down the drain.

I bought some new schooner glasses today, the standard pub type, for a birthday I got comin up.

Which only cost me $1.35 each (BARGAIN)!!

Well I decided to give em a good clean before I used em.

I had been reading that some of you guys use Napisan to clean stuff, so I used about a teaspoon of Coles Napisan and around 10 litres of hot water.
I soaked them for around ten minutes, hand washed em around, then rinsed them well, with cold water and let drain, then refridgerated.

Well I poured a beer in them from my second brew this arvo, the brew was a little undercarbed, due to bulk priming using Dex and not using enough, and the beer has held a little head in other glasses, but in my new Napisan cleaned schooner glass was DEAD FLAT within 1 minute or so.

WHAT HAVE I DONE????

and

HOW DO I FIX IT????

I just realised I used Napisan on some dirty long necks I bought from the LHBS last night.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did give them a good flush with water afterwards and then a soak and bottle brush with BLEACH/VINEGAR solution, then another rinse with water, before leaving them to dry on my bottle tree.

HAVE I STUFFED MY BOTTLES TOO????????

if so

HOW DO I FIX EM?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........................all my hard work down the drain.

As long as you rinsed well with water after cleaning with napisan,bleach etc,there should be no problem.Glass will not absorb any odours from cleaning agents,so a good flush with water should remove any residual percarbonate cleaners (napisan).

I always use no-name nappy soak on all my beer glasses and bottles.

never ever have had any problems with head retention in the past.

As sama says, you'll be fine. It won't stuff anything. Just rinse well. And relax. And have another beer (for testing purposes only). :)

Righteo

I've calmed a little

Just in case I'vedecided to soak the glasses in Bleach/Vinegar overnight

Thanks guys

I would be looking at the beer rather than the glasses. You don't say how you brew but steeping a couple of hundred grams of crystal malt will enhance the head. Unless the glass is contaminated with soap or your mouth is contaminated with barbeque you should get a reasonable head without going to any fuss.

Wash with bicarbonate of soda in hot water. Rinse with hot water with a dash of vinegar. Drip dry. Should be sweet. If your nappy cleaner left any coating the bicarb will remove it and the vinegar will neutralise the bicarb.

my misses must be the slackest glass washer, she just washes them in palmolive ad dries them straight away.
actually i'm the slackest glass washer, otherwise I'd wash my own. :p
Here's my sixth apa out of this glass, no head retention probs imo.

DSC03827.JPG

Bahah the findog. I know who you are (i think).

Don't need napisan for glasses dude, just use soap and rinse well - at least thats what I do and it always works a treat. I did the same thing to clean a bunch of glasses once, either do the bicarb/vinager thing, or if it isnt just lying around, I say just try n rinse em better, napisan needs a helluva rinse. I got one of them hose attachment things on my tap - got a rubber shower head thing from bunnings for a couple bucks and cut the shower bit off. Then invert the glass and squirt cold water up it so it runs off for a while - kinda like those proper beer glass rinsers/conditioners you see at some places.

Did it taste flat? or did the head just disappear?

Another thing could be the headmaster glasses are usually laser etched on the base (like a grid or like a kind of random fuzz) to provide a nucleation point for the CO2 in the beer, helps pub swill keep a decent head the whole way down, but will probably makes it go flatter too. So if you were undercarbed to start with it wouldnt really help.

I toss my glasses in the dishwasher with everything else.
Never had issues with head even in undercarbonated beers.

I'd be more inclined to suggest that you remove your lipstick before drinking, worked for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep me too. Cant see why you cant use the dish washer. Never had any problems with the head on my beer.
got to laugh at people doing it any other way, sorry. :p

i use tap water and a clean dry tea towl :unsure:

i use tap water and a clean dry tea towl :unsure:
I do the same for my bottles (after drinking and) prior to bottling, minus the towel.

I don't see a problem with standard dishwashing liquid, plenty of glasses i've grabbed off the shelf washed this way have held head fine.

I rinse with hot water, if they're looking a bit average I hit them with the Iodophor

you shouldn't get any infections in your glasses, but I don't know how it goes as a cleaner?

It's got a mild concentration of Phos acid, seems to work. I try not to touch them with any kind of soap.

It's got a mild concentration of Phos acid, seems to work. I try not to touch them with any kind of soap.

Ok I'll give it a go,got shed loads of Iodophor.

Love the stuff,if it moves I spray it,if it doesn't it gets drown :p

I have a solution in a spray bottle in every room,just in case.I actually think I should have been a dairy farmer B)

Moohaa

Latest posts

Back