What Do You Recommend For A Kegging System?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to move up to a complete kegging system but it's an area that I know little about.

Accordingly, I want to rely on the experience & expertise of the great people on these forums. I'm impressed that every time I ask a question on these forums I invariably get reliable, intelligent & multiple answers. It's probably the best forum I have been associated with and I have been on numerous over the years, many not associated with brewing.

My concern here is not to fall into the trap of rushing in & buying parts that are less than quality or to be talked into over-kill by some smart salesman, who would quickly get the vibes that I know bugger all.

Having said that, I don't want a bells & whistles set up, just one that is functionally efficient & easy to use. As a starter I was thinking of using Cornelius kegs.

So my question is, from your experience what are good, reliable & safe kegging component parts, including C02 cylinders.
If there are variations on a theme in such a system you may also care to comment on the variations in setup that you find superior.

I look forward to your hearing your experiences & recommendations, both the pitfalls as well as the good.

Thank you very much for your time.

Brenton

It depends on what you want, do you want taps fitted to a fridge, or a cheap Bronco tap to get you off and running?
How many kegs do you want? I suggest jump in and get four right off.
I don't think you could do much better than Craftbrewers four keg deal, and Ross will set you up with everything else you need, give him a call.

Batz

I would say ideally four kegs and just start with a bronco tap

I searched Ebay and started of with a commercial Kegerator and 3 Kegs all for $500. Really pleasedwith it (got a few more kegs now) It is a good way to start I reckon..

Ring Ross at http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/

OR

Ring Wayne at http://beerbelly.com.au/

you can't go wrong

+1 Both of these are great options...

Have used both and both went out of their way to help when i knew nothing about what i was asking. Neither will take you for a ride..

no affiliation (obviously as in two different parts of the country) just a satisfied customer from both businesses. Other sponsors of this site would no doubt be just as good, i just haven't used them before that's all.

I have a small chest freezer, four kegs, two brumby (read: cheaper pull style taps that are actually quite good) and it's temperature controlled with a tempmate. The whole setup i reckon has cost me close to around $1000 but that included the brand new chest freezer. It's portable on a castor wheeled frame that includes the gas bottle and regulator on the outside of the frame.

Haven't used any other tap options so don't have an opinion, but my brumby taps work very well. The hardest (and actually not that hard) is getting your head around carbonation and line lengths, tap heights etc.. It's different from system to system and the needs or requirements from each brewer will be slightly different so you will get lots of differen answers to this thread i reckon..

I still bottle a bit, more to keep supplies on hand in reserve if i have a big party unexpectadly (poker and dart nights will do it every time) and we get through a keg or three, but otherwise i keg the majority of my beers..

Cheers,

Nath

Only get off ebay if you are happt to do the fridge set up, lines, connetcs, tap ect yourself and are comfortable that you can do it all. My suggestion would be to purchase offf a LHBS or one of the sponsors here where you can get good avice it setting up and trouble shooting. The last thing you want is to start drilling into your fridge and setting your system up and come accross somethign you are not sure about and have no one to ask.

I started off with a 2 keg system, but you soon realise you are hooked and 2 is just not enough, 4 is the minimum for a good keg system, and the more the better.

Only get off ebay if you are happt to do the fridge set up, lines, connetcs, tap ect yourself and are comfortable that you can do it all. My suggestion would be to purchase offf a LHBS or one of the sponsors here where you can get good avice it setting up and trouble shooting. The last thing you want is to start drilling into your fridge and setting your system up and come accross somethign you are not sure about and have no one to ask.

I started off with a 2 keg system, but you soon realise you are hooked and 2 is just not enough, 4 is the minimum for a good keg system, and the more the better.

I think is really good advice.

My post above Bubba's indicates i have four kegs. The old man called me this morning to say that he has found another two for me. So know it's six.......Yeah......More the merrier!

Latest posts

Back