What Do I Do With The Dry Enzyme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about 20 brews into my illustrious brewing career - and about to do my first Dry lager...

No instruction on what to do with the dry enzyme - do I boil it? Pitch it like yeast? any help please?

John.

From memory pitch it in like a dry yeast and make sure fermentation is finished before bottling. FG may end up being 1000.

I was just discussing how dry enzyme may still be producing sugars for yeast to eat in bottles to produce bottle bombs. Look for "potential bottle bombs" below this post.

I'd throw the stuff in the bin.

Why do you want to keep your brew fermenting until everything with flavour and body is stripped out of it?
Just mash lower to give yourself a more fermentable beer.

Additionally, I don't believe you can really be sure just when your brew is finished with this stuff, so the potential for bottle bombs may always a possibility.

You might have good reasons to use it, but for me, I can't see the point.

I'd throw the stuff in the bin.

Additionally, I don't believe you can really be sure just when your brew is finished with this stuff, so the potential for bottle bombs may always a possibility.

You might have good reasons to use it, but for me, I can't see the point.
I agree totally with these comments....

BUT If you really feel compelled to use tsaid enzyme "to give you a dryer finish" or a lower carb beer, use half the recomended priming sugar or be ready for gushing bottles...

I used with corona kits back in the day and took half an hour to pour them. I bottled when the gravity got down to 1004-1006...

The enzyme keeps working after you bottle and the yeast do their thing.

PB

Thanks for the words guys,

Bad news = I was already brewing and just couldn't wait any longer for an answer :( so just added it to the 'hot pour' into the fermenter (I guess what you'd call 'flame out').

Good news = I keg - and I used an Ale yeast - brewing at 15, maybe 18 degrees... I'll look to rack after two weeks, hope to have a steady FG by then... then I'll just rack again a week or so later as well.

Hopefully that will keep me out of trouble - any more comments welcome!

John.

Back