What Case Of Beer Would U Buy In The U.s.a.?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
OK, I'm off to Hawaii and want a case to keep in the appartment, so what to buy? I was thinking a case of sierra nevada Pale Ale. What would U buy?

Steve

SNPA. My friend in the air force just stopped off for a day just near the sierra nevada brewery. I only just found out after he got back. He flies a transport aircraft and tells me after he gets back he couldve loaded it up with as many cases as I wanted, straight from the brewery :(

Depends. If I wanted a beer I knew was going to be great I'd get the SNPA but I'd be really tempted to grab 4 sixers instead. Keep it interesting. I'd definitely try some Dogfish Head beers - esp the 120minute IPA and the Punkin Ale.

Fosters... I only drink imported beers. :D Seriously Id have to go to a bottlo and grab a few snack packs of different varieties and make the most of it.

Brad

I would not plan on anything, in Ohio the variety was enormous, so I reckon you should just by four different six packs. Should not set you back much more than a case of something!

Enjoy!

Dogfish Head brews are certainly worth a try, there's also some nice brews by Sierra Nevada other than the Pale Ale too. If Hawaii is like most places in the US, the prices are dirt cheap anyway so buying 6 packs isn't a problem. I was buying tallies of SNPA for $2.70 ea in singles in Texas at the local supermarket, which was very nice :)

If it's hard to find anything decent, the Sam Adams Boston Lager is quite drinkable as well (and widely distributed). I can't believe that the local bottle shops here want $26 a 6 pack, it's certainly not worth that.

I like the Fat Tire from the New Belgium Brewing and from Real Ale Brewing Company I prefere Firemans #4 Blonde Ale. Great beers! :)

Alex

not sure what the distribution is like to Hawaii, but i would buy 24 different beers. then when i finished those off, 24 more different beers. ahh variety. nothing like it.

Ive heard good things about Maui brewing which I think is on Hawaii.. Also Rogue, Stone, Russian River, and Anchor from California :icon_drool2:

not sure what the distribution is like to Hawaii, but i would buy 24 different beers. then when i finished those off, 24 more different beers. ahh variety. nothing like it.

what he said,

A few tears ago when I was in Honolulu I hooked into SNPA and was happy. The US is a strange place and not all beers are available in the 50th state.

Try as many as you can. The ABC stores are worth checking out.

daniel

With the trend of SNPA, but bigger.

I had some of the new release SN Torpedo Extra IPA earlier this year. Great stuff.

So many good IPA's over there though.

Grab a few 40 oz bottles of Super strength malt liquors like Steel Reserve or St Ides and hang out with some homies :beer:

Distribution in Hawaii might be more limited than you think.

Head to a local bottle-o, supermarket check what they have and then ask anyone you can find where the best selection of beers is, or search online before you go.

Now having said that, all going well I'd go straight for Dogfish Head 90min IPA and upwards. Midas Touch is interesting. Pliny the Elder from Russian River if you can find it. Anything from Stone or The Bruery, Alesmith, Avery or Victory brewing companies. I personally like Victory Prima Pils and Avery Marharaja IPA.

But Joes suggestion is still the best. Walk in, see what's on offer and buy one of each. Singles are cheap enough.

Have fun. Justin

P.S. Firestone might be worth a try too, also Pelican Ale.

Reedhook ESB. I tried this beer years ago and I made an American Amber Ale recently that is just like I remembered it to be. I'd love to try it again to check it out.

So many great beers to chose from in the States. Anything from Russian River, Stone, Allagash on and on and on. Make a mixed case would be the go for sure, can take a long time to decide if you find a really good bottle shop though.

If you really had to chose one beer it has to be Pilny The Elder :chug: amazing beer.

I havent tasted it but as reviled mentioned there is a Hawian brewery, Maui Brewing Co which is supposed to make a mean Coconut Porter.

Enjoy the trip.

If your gonna be around Kona check the Kona Brewery, good beer and good pizza at least it was when i was there last a couple years ago.

http://www.konabrewingco.com/

Also from what i remember Hawaii had a pretty crap beer selection when compared to say Washington, Oregon or Cali, but maybe its improved.

Maui Brewing beers are good - buy a mixed 6 pack, the lager(pretty standard), coconut porter - (yummy when it warms up - like drinking a bounty bar) and Big Swell IPA - then buy a carton of the one you like most.

Otherwise, Stone IPA or Russian River if you can get them.

Personally I wouldn't buy a case of SNPA - it's a good beer, but I think LCPA is a better similar beer and can get that here at home, so would be looking to try lots of what I can't get something similar to at home.

Does that sentence make sense?

Have a good trip.

Kev

With something to the tune of 1400 microbreweries in the US I wouldn't be limiting myself to a single case! :D :beer:

Latest posts

Back