What can i make?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorny85

Reaction score
Hi brewers,
Im keen to put a brew down but have never gone beyond a can, dextrose and yeast. I am still going to use extracts for now until i get a couple of brews under my belt as well as some decent equipment then ill go all grain. I visited my local brew shop and grabbed some stuff (blindly lol) ive managed to bring home a can of amber malt, 1kg of liquid wheat malt extract, a 1.5kg bag of 33% dark malt 33% light malt and the rest dextrose as well as 50g of fuggles 15g of williamette, 15g of cascade and 15g of amarillo as well as 2 packets of safale s-04 ale yeast. Any ideas on what would be the best to use as well as quantities in this brew? I dont want to make a complete disaster to begin with lol

Thorny85 said:
I dont want to make a complete disaster to begin with lol
then perhaps you should have headed there with a recipe (or asked them to put one together for you..advice is one of the reasons to visit a homebrew store ;) )

Store was busy and i was on a timeframe. I did take a recipe but they didnt have everything. So i just grabbed some random stuff hoping it may work hence why i asked for some advice here.

Thats ok not in a rush, happy to get more ingredients to make a good brew

Two big questions you should address are, how far down the rabbit hole do you wish to go? (mini boil?) and what beer would you like to end up with?(style? commercial example of what your aiming for?)

I dont want to go super bitter, i was going to try and make something like a malty red (if thats a thing lol) though im not sure thats what ill acheive with what i have now. I do also like what ive read of some of the fruit aromas and flavours that the hops produce.

He can make beautiful beer with what he has.

One of you extract brewers help him balance it using a spreadsheet and direct thorny to where and how he can use it but he doesn't need any more visits till the next beer.

2 cans extract, 750 - 1kg of the dry mix, fuggles and willamette to 25 ibu and late cascade and amarillo for another 10.

Both packs of yeast, temp controlled ferment at 18 deg till done.

Latest posts

Back