What Can I Make With Potatoes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie Beastie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am bored out of my brain and want some ideas thrown at me.
I bought 20kg of potatoes this morning for $5 with the plan of doing something different with them.
I have heard of people using potatoes to make spirits etc.

Normally I only brew beer but am willing to give anything a go.

Any ideas?

Hey guys,

I am bored out of my brain and want some ideas thrown at me.
I bought 20kg of potatoes this morning for $5 with the plan of doing something different with them.
I have heard of people using potatoes to make spirits etc.

Normally I only brew beer but am willing to give anything a go.

Any ideas?

potatoes + fermentation and distillation = Vodka

PM Troydo about his Potato Beer. Wasn't too bad actually.

Cheers

Make a shed load of mashed potatoes and invite some people over to help with it

Or chips? They'd go with what ever beer you have handy...

I am having hassleback potatoes with orange and garlic glaze....baking right now.

Buysome PVC Pipe and make a spud gun :ph34r: . Hours of fun.....well until the neighbours four houses down ring the police about the potatoes landing on their roof..

bad idea I know

Brad

of course making your own vodka is technically illegal, spirits fall into a different category and you need a whole different setup for that.

I'm thinking chips, or mash topped with parmesan baked in the oven. Or fried with capsicum, bacon and onion, topped off with fried tomato and olive's

Or Shepherds pie!

Buy some vodka, make and eat some mashed potato, and shoot kids with a spud gun.
Awsome afternoon.
:lol:

Keep them for food.

Option 1: Slice them into quarters or sixths and put them in a large pot with a knob of unsalted butter, a clove or two of garlic, thyme sprigs, sea salt and black pepper. Cook them in the butter at a very slow heat (lowest you can) for a couple of hours until golden brown and fluffy. (unpeeled)

Option two: Place whole (unpeeled) in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil, remove immediately from boil and allow to sit in water until water is cool. Remove and dry. Cut into quarters or sixths, place in moderate oven with whole unpeeled garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, sea salt and black pepper until golden brown. Cool to room temp.

Fry off some bacon strips with dash olive oil, 1 clove garlic (chopped), some washed chopped sage and plenty of black pepper (no salt). Make sure bacon is crispy (can place in oven or grill after frying until it starts to salivate/foam). Put aside on absorbent paper.

Take two egg yolks, a teaspoon of seeded mustard, a teaspoon of white wine vinegar, a sprinkle of sea salt and some black pepper. Place in a stainless steel bowl and whisk briskly to combine ingredients. Now take some olive oil and while whisking furiously with one hand, add the olive oil in a very slow steady stream until the mixture starts to emulsify and thicken. Keep whisking and adding oil until mayonnaisse is as thick as you like and tastes like a balance (not too eggy, not too oily, not too vinegary).

Combine ingredients for the best potato salad in the world. Rough chopped continental parsley does not go astray as well.

I'll second the shepherds pie and raise it to one made with stout.

Maybe potato stamps?
1.jpg

I'll second the shepherds pie and raise it to one made with stout.

make that cottage pie with stout.

Or Outback pie ground Roo steak and stout.

I'll second the spud gun!

SPUD GUN! SPUD GUN! There is nothing, but NOTHING FUNNER!

Several years ago a mate of mine proudly showed me the one he made. He lived at Kirribilli at the time, so we took it down to the harbour and fired spuds at ferries. Never hit one but we got awfully close.... Aah, good times. :rolleyes:

was the mate in kirrabilli initails J.H by the way?. :icon_offtopic:

Off topic: No, different initials. Maybe it was something about Kirribilli people in the mid 90's.... <_<
On topic: Spuds in duck fat = WIN. :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back