What bottles are best

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scon said:
I managed to pick up about 400 pickaxe bottles from a deceased estate not long after getting in to brewing. That was a super lucky find - they weren't even advertised as such. These were the original Coopers bottles that were designed to be returned and reused, before it became more economically feasable to just crush the bottles and make new ones. I think they're about 600g per 750mL bottle. They're rock solid.
I still find it hard getting my head around crushing, melting and reblowing bottles being more economical in aus. The Czech and other euro breweries have it right with wash and reuse!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I still find it hard getting my head around crushing, melting and reblowing bottles being more economical in aus. The Czech and other euro breweries have it right with wash and reuse!
Yup. It's ludicrous. All so more people can make money. The amount of energy wasted in our "re-cycling" industry in Australia is a joke. Thanks goverment and Visy!

I've been reading that there have been advances in PET bottles in the last couple of years to prevent oxidization of products that are negatively effected by it. An oxygen impermeable barrier can be coated onto the inside or outside of the botttle, I'd say the Tap King bottles would be treated this way, soft drink bottles would not, don't know if the Coopers PET bottles are coated. There is a chance more beer will come in plastic bottles

I did read somewhere that the coopers pet bottles are thicker than normal pet bottles

I use a combination of Guiness, Boags and Carlton bottles... All twist top, like it that way - just use a proper capper so no chipping. The only chips I enjoy with my beer are Smiths Salt & Vinegar!

Hi all.
Just an update. Went to the glass recyclers yesterday and brought 4 dozen old school brisbane bottle exchange xxxx tallies for $14. That's only $3.50 a dozen, no chip's or crack's just need a good clean up prety cheap I thought. Going to buy some more next week to get the stock up.

Excellent.

I'm using Boags, VB, Cascade Export Stout and a few coopers bottles I've bought for the bottle but consumed the beer.

Coopers tallies are excellent - they are the king of tallies.

The other bottles are thin, but I've never cracked them using my bench capper. It's a home made jobbie, and I had two cappers at one stage and the other was a commercial spring loading thing and I got rid of it, because I prefer this home made one.

I'm currently supplementing my meagre bottle supply with plastic 1.5L woolies bottles as acquiring the glass ones is inherently difficult.

Great thread, ive got about 100 otenger 330ml bottles but i quickly learned after the first bottling session they are stupidly small!
I am now buying coopers long neck bottles. :lol:

I did mannage to find a pickaxe bottle aswell the other day, it was lying in the dirt.
Its stamped 'remains property of the NSW bottling company pty ltd' and on the bottom its stamped '1958'. No clue if its worth anything but it will go nicely in my collection.

I remember reading on the Coopers forum that Peter the moderator said that Coopers guarantee their PET bottles to keep beer for 18 months. They have a nylon lining to reduce permeability.

The main issue is not oxygen ingress but outgassing of the C02 leaving the beer flat. I don't know how any oxygen can get in against the internal pressure of the contents.

Comparisons with oxygenation of still wine stored in PET bottles vs carbonated beer seem a bit apples vs oranges to me.

Feldon said:
I remember reading on the Coopers forum that Peter the moderator said that Coopers guarantee their PET bottles to keep beer for 18 months. They have a nylon lining to reduce permeability.

The main issue is not oxygen ingress but outgassing of the C02 leaving the beer flat. I don't know how any oxygen can get in against the internal pressure of the contents.

Comparisons with oxygenation of still wine stored in PET bottles vs carbonated beer seem a bit apples vs oranges to me.
PET isn't permeable to co2, if your bottles go flat it is because of the lid not having a good seal, which does happen occasionally. Oxidation is an issue for beer and wine, it doesn't matter what pressure of co2 you have inside oxygen can still get in. If you don't mind your beer oxidising that is fine, if coopers bottles have a special non-permeable membrane that is good. I would rather have my beer in glass.

I like the little bottles for beer, it gives you a bit more flexibility how much you drink (or give away).

The only drawbock with the swing tops is if they are accidentally overprimed when you open them they go POP! and make you poo your pants.

My 11cents.

I did think Coopers Long Necks the ultimate but are changing my mind.
Coopers are slightly in front simply because they cap slightly easier.

Pros/cons. Coopers

+ Bottle easier/smoother.
+ Slightly Stronger glass.
+ Darker glass may benefit storage (debatable)
- They are a longer bottle don't fit in my middle shelf of fridge.
- Darker glass, hard to see them filling may install a lamp under my bottling desk to solve this.
- Need a bottle opener/eye socket top open.

CUB's screw tops.

+ Screw top easy to open.
+ Fit in middle shelf of my fridge.
+ Abundant supply from local wedding reception joints. So I'm happy to give them away or leave them at parties.
+ Light glass easy to see when filling.
- Slightly harder to cap
- Slightly easier to break
- Lighter glass may not store as well (who cares, beers just don't last at my place)

scon said:
I managed to pick up about 400 pickaxe bottles from a deceased estate not long after getting in to brewing. That was a super lucky find - they weren't even advertised as such. These were the original Coopers bottles that were designed to be returned and reused, before it became more economically feasable to just crush the bottles and make new ones. I think they're about 600g per 750mL bottle. They're rock solid.
Yep, a mate of mine has both the original Pickaxe bottles and some new Coopers bottles and we weighed them. Pickaxe as you say are around 600g, and the Coopers bottles are around 560g. Not bad!

Well I bottled my 2 fermenters of Coopers Pale Ale today and used the screw top VB tallies. Brought a bench top capper as advised earlier in this thread and gave it a double press. Didn't have a problem, not even 1 leaking lid pretty happy bout that. Once I get enough of the old school xxxx tallies I'll use the VB tallies as give aways/presents or BBQ bottles. They do feel thin when you cap them so I'm on a mission to get rid of them asap. Just hope none of them go flat of explode as it's the first time I have used glass. Fingers crossed.

I've been using commercial stubbies for years with no trouble. I have a spring loaded capping device that goes in the chuck on a drill press, effectively turning it into a giant bench capper. I am in the process of replacing all my twist tops with Sierra Nevada bottles at the moment. I like the size and shape of them, and the fact that they are pry off rather than twist tops. Not that I've had any problems with the twisties, I just prefer pry off. Also saving a few of the British 500mL bottles when I get them occasionally. I prefer stubbies because if I just want one beer I don't have to leave half a bottle in the fridge for another day or whatever, sure it makes the bottling day take a little longer but for my situation and preferences I don't mind. As long as your beer is completely finished fermenting and you haven't over primed the bottles, you shouldn't have any bombs. :)

Josho said:
The only drawbock with the swing tops is if they are accidentally overprimed when you open them they go POP! and make you poo your pants.
love that sound - sounds like champagne being opened

Back