What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karnivool and Cat Empire's collaboration on Roquefort.

An incredible song made even better

Sponge

Celph Titled, Buckwild, Ryu, Apathy & Esosteric: Swashbuckling.
5 MCs, one song, 5 different beats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I read about them a while back and thought I'd be all over it.

Turns out it sounds like Terrence Trent D'Arby.

Read about them also a while back. Never heard their stuff, was in a store today and saw it so as a punter couldn't resist. One and a half listens in, God I hope I don't think of terence trent d'arby now!! Will report back.

I just saw Doom and GFK tonight, and I am sorry to say that it was sorely disappointing, I was at least expecting to be thrown a bone in the form of the collab track that they did on Dangerdoom... but no. Two separate quick rehearsed abridged call-and -response-funtime shows. And to top it off, Killah only played the acapella intro to Daytona 500, the soft part of one of the illest tracks of all time. I get a feeling that this is punishment for a strong AUD.

And I am just going to throw it out there that bogans and hip hop should never have met. They should have been segregated lest they breed into some hideous subspecies. Apparently I am 10 years too late and the new species is a virulant one that seemingly boasts immunity to all indicators of one's personal space, indicators of significant other's personal space, and one's efforts to maintain the sanctity of new kicks that one rarely affords oneself. Maybe I am just getting old and cranky. A choice of Carlton or Pure Blonde might be to blame (I drank extortionate Jamesons).

Sorry to say, Biz, but hiphop has always been the domain of the bogan here. Bogans are Australia's blacks - except they don't deserve a leg-up. Just look at the extended popularity of Hilltop Hoods, for example. There's some notable exceptions, of course, but facts are facts.

Standing on a man's new runners does seem unbelievably not-hiphop (although, as with punk, there is nothing more not-hiphop than arguing about what is and what isn't hiphop).

Sorry to say, Biz, but hiphop has always been the domain of the bogan here. Bogans are Australia's blacks - except they don't deserve a leg-up. Just look at the extended popularity of Hilltop Hoods, for example. There's some notable exceptions, of course, but facts are facts.

Standing on a man's new runners does seem unbelievably not-hiphop (although, as with punk, there is nothing more not-hiphop than arguing about what is and what isn't hiphop).

I hate to say it but I agree...I am a MASSIVE Aussie Hiphop fan but after seeing some its "followers" it makes me shudder :blink:

:party: to almopec for listening to some Sabbath!

I read about them a while back and thought I'd be all over it.

Turns out it sounds like Terrence Trent D'Arby.

Read about them also a while back. Never heard their stuff, was in a store today and saw it so as a punter couldn't resist. One and a half listens in, God I hope I don't think of terence trent d'arby now!! Will report back.

Sounds like it was recorded in a different era, like a few sixties garage bands, or found on a nuggets compilation. I probably would dread to think what the songs would sound like with slick producing. That's what works here, a little like Eddy Current Suppresion Ring, it's made for vinyl.

It's one of the more interesting releases I've heard in a while, not as full throttle as I thought it would be, but I love the ringing tones of a Rickenbacker! He's got a powerful voice but is consistently flat throughout the record, true punk style, haha.

I immediately thought of the Saints when I read about these guys, but the Saints shit all over these guys.

Is it to catchy for you, Bum? Or, do you think it's too soulless, because it's been talked up as a soul/punk album?

It is not catchy at all for me. No real hooks. The references to ECSR and the Nuggets comps (both of which I listen to quite a bit (though not too much lately - my brain only wants to mourn Ween at the moment)) don't really ring true for me. The dude sounds exactly like TTD for me and he was trying to sit in that southern-soul-meets-70s-pop-rock thing too - this is more up-tempo though, obviously.

Horse for courses and all that. It's alright I guess but not for me - like Boomgates (very much in the same vein and ECSR connections).

Not technically me, but...

Came indoors yesterday to find Little Miss 5 sitting with the ipad, rocking out to Opeth's Blackwater Park.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :super:

Latest posts

Back