What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. Finnish folk metal mate. Not a lot of the celtic about it. As for jokes - they take themselves a little less seriously than most metal acts. A mixture of traditional folk, black metal, drinking songs and nordic mythology, great on a winter's night with a big tankard of something frothy.

Under Bergets Rot and Trollhammaren (66% of my Finntroll experience) have A LOT of Celtic in them. Prob more Celtic than metal to be frank.

If you want Celtic go for
Alestorm and Eluveitie ;)

Personally i like the Finnish metal/folk Metal

Korpiklaani
Ensiferum
Finntroll
Amon Amarth

:beer:

Went to the first Korpiklaani song YouTube threw at me. Celtic as ****.

Then I Googled "folk metal" - every description I read used the word "Celtic". They might be from Finland but the folk music they are playing is Celtic in origin.

As am I.

Went to the first Korpiklaani song YouTube threw at me. Celtic as ****.

Then I Googled "folk metal" - every description I read used the word "Celtic". They might be from Finland but the folk music they are playing is Celtic in origin.

As am I.

Only problem is Celts have never been part of Finnish culture :p Korpiklaani is about Finnish culture not to be confused with Scandinavia(Norway,Sweden,Denmark) even in Scandinavia there is really only Norway that had or has any Celtic influence

How ever "Style" wise Finnish folk metal and "Celtic Metal" will sound similar but the lyrics and language will be some what different.....but its all good

look on youtube for Waylander they are a "Celtic metal" band ;)

They might be from Finland but the folk music they are playing is Celtic in origin.

Um.......it might remind you of celtic or sound celtic to your ears but everything I've ever read about korpiklaani and finntroll suggests there music has a heavy basis in Finnish folk including things like yoiking and Sami influences and finnish folk culture, mythology and history.

Anyway only two metal bands I've ever been able to stomach so whatever their musical roots I'm happy to sink many a pint to their songs.

It makes me feel like a complete douche every time I pull this argument but here goes anyway...it's not just my ears but my tertiary musicology education telling me this is music is based in Celtic folk music. Dunno why you guys are talking about geography. Sure, I can hear some of that Finnish hoompa (or whatever) shit in Trollfinn but it is still heavily Celtic in nature (and that hoompa(?) stuff is hardly folk music anyway).

It makes me feel like a complete douche every time I pull this argument but here goes anyway...it's not just my ears but my tertiary musicology education telling me this is music is based in Celtic folk music. Dunno why you guys are talking about geography. Sure, I can hear some of that Finnish hoompa (or whatever) shit in Trollfinn but it is still heavily Celtic in nature (and that hoompa(?) stuff is hardly folk music anyway).

what is folk music anyway?

Finnish is about the lyrics man

Ei tm tytt, ei tm tytt
ky joka pojan rekeen.
Ei tm tytt, ei tm tytt
kay joka pojan rekeen,
:,: ennenkuin ajaa, liinakkovarsa
pappani oven eteen. :,:

:,: Pappani talo kivinen talo
heilani talo puinen, :,:
:,: en ole tytt poikain tytt
vaikk' olen naurusuinen. :,:

:,: Istutin oksan vaahteran oksan,
taisikin olla tammi. :,:
:,: harvoin sua nhd saan,
muistella useammin. :,:

:,: Heilani jtti hyvsti jtti,
kielsi hn suremasta, :,:
:,: kielsi hn toisten poikain kanssa
seurustelemasta. :,:

:,: Tuolta se nkyy punanen talo
valkean talon takaa, :,:
:,: valkean talon vieterisohvas
tn tytn heili makaa. :,:

:,: Pelimanni se perpenkill
soitteli haitarilla, :,:
:,: Sotkamon Jussi hilsunsa kanssa
nytti niin mukavalta. :,:

now that's what I mean. :icon_cheers:

(what are these blokes smoking ......)

What is Celtic folk?, what is Finnish folk?, what is Germanic Folk? to me its music that has lyrics with meaning from those ethnic back grounds.......so that's where the Geography(yes that was me) comes into it

I wasn't talking about geography but about what I've read about the bands and where their musical influences come from. Koorpiklaani used to be known as Shamaani duo (later shaman) and were essentially (according to what I've read) a finnish folk outfit who moved into metal. If you have some expertise in musicology that encompasses celtic and finnish then I'm happy to defer to that because I have none.

I do have some finnish folk CDs from the smithsonian which I admit sound very little like the folky parts of either band - either way I still enjoy the two bands and they are definitely not to be taken completely seriously (look up korpiklaani - wooden pints for a giggle).

Yoik

Fuuuck. Typed out a longish response but Firefox lost it on me. Short version.
<br>
Fats, your question is a fair one in general but Humppa (now that I think a bit harder about the spelling) was a jazz based form (if memory serves). Jazz is a pretty modern invention.
<br>
Manticle, I must admit that my studies did not touch on Suomi folk in the slightest (but if you wanna know anything about Gamelan I'm your man) but I'm not sure there is anything in Finland's history that would explain such a strong Celtic influence. It should also be said that the course did not touch on folk-metal either but the small reading I've done in relation to this conversation suggests the genre is deeply rooted in Celtic folk - to the point of being almost ubiquitous.

(It should be pointed out that no-one should ask me about gamelan as it is awful and I hated studying it with all my black, little heart.)

Manticle, I must admit that my studies did not touch on Suomi folk in the slightest (but if you wanna know anything about Gamelan I'm your man) but I'm not sure there is anything in Finland's history that would explain such a strong Celtic influence. It should also be said that the course did not touch on folk-metal either but the small reading I've done in relation to this conversation suggests the genre is deeply rooted in Celtic folk - to the point of being almost ubiquitous.

Main question being - (curiosity only - I couldn't give a rat's arse about the cultural purity of either band) - how likely is it that history brought a little bit of finnish influence to celtic music rather than the other way round?

I'd like to hear an american old timey influenced folk metal band.

And a romainian one.

Main question being - (curiosity only - I couldn't give a rat's arse about the cultural purity of either band) - how likely is it that history brought a little bit of finnish influence to celtic music rather than the other way round?

I'd like to hear an american old timey influenced folk metal band.

And a romainian one.

I'm no Anthropologist but I'm not aware of any sort of contact with the Celts that would have resulted in so profound a cultural influence.

I'm pretty sure Ice-T tried to do a "black" metal band in the 90s. I did a quick google on the term "gypsy metal" (sure such a thing would exist). YouTubing the first return resulted in me hearing some weak as piss, watered down version of black metal. Be careful what you wish for.

Scandinavia had a reasonable influx of traffic into bits of the UK pretty early on didn't they? Reasonable assumption [if granted] that finnish made its way down the continent, then that continent's influence made its way overseas.

I may be confusing 'celts' with 'sandals' and 'scandinavia' with 'denim wardrobe'. Also reasonably long bow as I have little basis for any of it- just an idea that I might research a little when I have the headspace for it.

:lol: closest thing to ROFL in the smiley's yes i have a pet "thing" for Anthropology Scandinavia(Norway raided England for Slaves pre 1000AD although it was not England back then lol) yes the Celt's had an influence there but any farther of Norway east they didn't ;)

Still it sounds good......and my Coopers real Ale tastes Farking good :icon_drunk:

Chance the finns influenced Norway before they left home?

100:1

or 6:5?

Now listening to Diamanda Galas - Sono l'antichristo. Have a radiointerview in a couple of hours so putting togeteher some of my own music, music from collaborating with my oartner and music that's influenced us both over years.

Chance the finns influenced Norway before they left home?

100:1

or 6:5?

Nah mate Finns came from the east(except a small part of the south east that are Swedish) they are of Baltic/sami extract any where to the west(Sweden/Norway) they are Germanic or Germanic/Celtic(Norway) they "so called most Celtic" places are Scotland Ireland Switzerland France Spain(but the Arabs invaded and killed most of the Celts) Ireland is second because the Vikings(even tho they where "so called" kicked out more politics) settled Ireland(Dublin is a Viking city) unlike the Scottish highlands.......but now I'm rambling

Have a radiointerview in a couple of hours

Considering the time of day, I'm gonna guess this is live to air and not pre-record. Would love to know which station and what time. PM is okay if you don't want to put it out there. I promise not to break your stuff down into some socio-economic shit.

Back