What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1988 - the year their greatest achievement, Seventh Son, was released.

We can agree on that (both the categorical and qualitative sections). I was early teens, but I was still young enough for Slayer to scare me haha. A year or two later and it was only slayer fans that scared me hahaha

Now stop goading me, you know my rampant ego won't let me gracefully ignore you; it's up to you to be the mature one :party:

Have been getting my stoner groove on with Red Fang.

Cool video:

I had not heard these guys, but I loved the sound in the clip. Going through their catalogue now, and the guitarist is obviously a fan of Josh Homme, but I love brewing to stoner rock (although don't follow it - just have Kyuss/early QOTSA/Fu Manchu in collection). I am now a Red Fang fan.

Are there other such bands I should know about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not heard these guys, but I loved the sound in the clip. Going through their catalogue now, and the guitarist is obviously a fan of Josh Homme, but I love brewing to stoner rock (although don't follow it - just have Kyuss/early QOTSA/Fu Manchu in collection). I am now a Red Fang fan.

Not really a stoner rock expert here, punk/thrash is my game but when stoner rock is done well (can't put my finger on what I like about Red Fang so much. They don't get bogged down in dirgey/doom sounds like others do, are a little dischordant in places and the dude can really sing) I dig it.

I generally like the more aggrisive sounding stuff like Green Machine:

At the other end of the spectrum I quite like the worlds best Sabbath impersonators Sleep, although they do indulge in the dirge thing a bit:

Helps that Matt Pike went on to form High on Fire after them, the other 2 went on to form a band called Om, who while not quite Rock, are very Stoner and a bit interesting even to my punk rock sensibilities:

Can hear Kyuss' quieter momentents in their louder moments if you're patient.

Then there's Garcia's post Kyuss thing Unida:

None of which really sound like Red Fang, but if I come across anything else in that vein I'll be sure to put it up here. Did you see the Kyuss Lives thing recently? Nick Oliveri was just arrested by a SWAT team in LA a few days ago so his future in it is uncertain. Shame, he's such a brilliant musician but sadly is mad as a cut snake.

Great suggestions by jlm. The "Stoner" thing kind of slides two ways - into melodic rockiness with 70s roots, or into doomier/heavier territory.

Based on your current tastes, and assuming you want to avoid total doom sludge and/or stoner metal, I would suggest you buy/burn the Desert Session albums...kind of a who's who of the Cali stoner thing (more melodic and trippy).

Also try the Sword. Personally I am an underground snob and could provide you with endless lists of bands from Europe and Australia, but meh - each to their own.

I'm more on the doom and stoner metal side of things - but not the 3 minutes of feedback drone stuff (YAWN). A band that receives little no credit but had a huge hand in turning the tide within the metal genre back to big blues riffs etc are Cathedral. Their second album, The Ethereal Mirror, has some of the best stoner riffs of all time on it - but heavy as ****...plus very unconventional vocals from one of the founding members of Napalm Death haha. But if you prefer melodic singing, stick to the stoner rock bands.

Cheers.

Another good Red Fang video:

What Lecterfan's suggested is a good idea. That Cali stoner scene in the 90's was very incestuous, heaps of guys moving between each others bands and such.
Was aware of The Sword but never heard them til now. Pretty good (I also like that an SVT classic with and 8x10 cab is standard in a lot of these bands). Didn't they play soundwave?

The Sword ... Didn't they play soundwave?

Pretty sure they did. I am ambivalent about them, I like their tone (but I run a gibson through an orange so I'm easy pleased)....but I guess part of me reacts badly to them because I think a lot of where they are is due to hype...but hey, hundreds of thousands of people would never have heard kyuss of metallica didn't take them on tour, so there's no reason for me to begrudge the same favour to the sword. I guess with their image etc. I want something closer to older Grand Magus, or even Winos last barbarian metal attempt haha.

I still have the little 3 song red tape of Kyuss (thumb, freedom run and thong on it) that came with Hot Metal magazine in order to get the metal heads prepared for them when they came with Metallica haha.

Anyway - first hop addition is due 70gms of EKG in at 45 mins for an irish red. Yummo.

edit: hey jlm, I know you are more into punk/thrash as you stated - but a couple of Melb bands I reckon you'd groove on would be Clagg and Dread. Both much more aggressive and heavier. Clagg might be a bit too doomy for you, but Dread probably matches up ok.

Both have details on the interwebs and have cds etc...

A few more to have a listen to..

High on Fire
Orange Goblin
Hermano
Brant Bjork solo stuff
Earthless
Dead Meadow
Hawkwind (real old school)

Or even check out the doco "Such Hawks, Such Hounds"

I'd youtube link all of the above but the computer nazi's won't allow access on work PC's...

Cheers
Booz

...edit: hey jlm, I know you are more into punk/thrash as you stated - but a couple of Melb bands I reckon you'd groove on would be Clagg and Dread. Both much more aggressive and heavier. Clagg might be a bit too doomy for you, but Dread probably matches up ok...

Hope it's better than that absolute sh!te we were forced to listen to, twice!, on Saturday night. Next case swap, I'm bringing my Bieber cd's so I can get some quality tunes.

Oops, sry, I'm meant to be the mature one ;)

Hope it's better than that absolute sh!te we were forced to listen to, twice!, on Saturday night. Next case swap, I'm bringing my Bieber cd's so I can get some quality tunes.

Oops, sry, I'm meant to be the mature one ;)
:lol:

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='795210' date='Jul 15 2011, 01:38 PM']Or even check out the doco "Such Hawks, Such Hounds"[/quote]

Just watching this now...... amazing

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='795210' date='Jul 15 2011, 12:38 PM']A few more to have a listen to..

High on Fire
Orange Goblin
Hermano
Brant Bjork solo stuff
Earthless
Dead Meadow
Hawkwind (real old school)

Or even check out the doco "Such Hawks, Such Hounds"

I'd youtube link all of the above but the computer nazi's won't allow access on work PC's...

Cheers
Booz[/quote]
I have to say, that for some time I have been impressed with your username, so it is suitable that you chimed in.

I will check out the ones I have not heard. My old man was a mad Hawkwind et al fan, so I grew up listening to that stuff, perhaps I had a biological predisposition to such music *ahem*...

I actually spent my whole morning searching around for the sound I most want to brew to (insert Mighty Boosh 'new sound' sample). It is not like I have not heard of most of these bands, it is just not that I have gone and listened to them, or monitor such streams. Anyway I am not into overly drawn out stuff unless it is old psych, and even then it is tentative, but that is a goldmine genre. Since developing a love of snappy old funk breaks, and growing up a little (maybe) the groove and a tempo within reason appeal to me, but I am still funny about it and can't exactly elaborate on my decisions.

There is a band that I am trying to remember the name of, they were a kind of chuggy rocky metal like a Motorhead of the 90's, even potentially Swedish, and they did an album where they got all introspective and open minded and soft and it had a three legged dog on the cover (not The Crual Sea or Alice in Chains - perhaps the dog even had four legs), but very shortly after the album was released to disdain of fans, they went straight back to their old distorted bass-heavy de-tuned rock stylings and released an apology album. I can't remember their name for the life of me.

I am going through the Saint Vitus catalogue, and it is totally awesome, even though I am very much not a fan of clean operatic style vocals, if that was raspier, I'd be pitching more of a tent. This song is more early hardcore and thrash like, but it is awesome.

I was in nappies.

ED: and thanks to jlm & lecter's other suggestions, inspiration for my morning's journey through time and space.

Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy

These guys are commercial BUT!

Foo Fighters are on my play list heaps atm. Bought 4 tickets yesterday to the Adelaide Oval concert later this year, Can't wait.
Tenacious D to open, should be hilarious.

:lol:

Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy

Back in the day's when I was keen on expensive substances that kept you up all night talking shit, I waltzed through the door on a chilly winters morn at around 4 am not really feeling myself, flicked on rage and was submitted utterly by this offering.

There is a band that I am trying to remember the name of, they were a kind of chuggy rocky metal like a Motorhead of the 90's, even potentially Swedish, and they did an album where they got all introspective and open minded and soft and it had a three legged dog on the cover (not The Crual Sea or Alice in Chains - perhaps the dog even had four legs), but very shortly after the album was released to disdain of fans, they went straight back to their old distorted bass-heavy de-tuned rock stylings and released an apology album. I can't remember their name for the life of me.

The band I was thinking of was Entombed. Now that I have been back over their stuff... it is not really what I was looking for after all (at the time I considered them 'rock'). Further to that, they impinged on the sanctity of early Fripp. After 34 years, they seemingly added nothing to that song, which in my mind is absolutely perfect to begin with.

In other news I like the energy of Cowboys and Aliens, I know it is kind of poppy, but maybe I am coming to terms with actually liking that.

Further to that, they impinged on the sanctity of early Fripp. After 34 years, they seemingly added nothing to that song, which in my mind is absolutely perfect to begin with.

I love how they left out the solo/jam section because it was too difficult.

Vastly different to what's been mentioned in the last few posts, but I'm listening to Syl Johnson.

Back