What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to get away from the hip-hop: Therion - Gothic Kabbalah & Within Temptation - An acoustic night at the theatre.

Im listening to "The Sword" at the moment,the albums called Warp riders.There a cross between Black Sabbath,Kyus and a touch of Wolfmother.
Stoner rock is the easiest way to label them.

Im listening to "The Sword" at the moment,the albums called Warp riders.There a cross between Black Sabbath,Kyus and a touch of Wolfmother.
Stoner rock is the easiest way to label them.

Yea they have a good go but they always leave me a little bit cold. Same as Grand Magus - they almost rock my socks off but don't quite make it. Having said that I am stoner/groove rock snob having seen Kyuss on purpose back in 93 (the fact that Metallica played as well was just a bonus), and Sabbath being one of the few band tattoos I have haha.

Personally I'm having a few beers and taking a youtube tour of 80's thrash - big hair, tight jeans and huge basketball shoes. Overkill, Kreator, Nuclear Assault. Aah the memories.

I'm trying to find some good classical guitar stuff that has an old english sort of feel to it - like Blackmores Night but without the poxiness.

If anyone knows of any good composers/musos/cds I should look out for plese let me know. Percussion etc. is fine but I mostly want minor arpeggio/folky (preferably instrumental) acoustic guitar stuff.

Cheers.

^^^

Yngwie Malmsteen's "Bouree" :lol:

Oh, you said NO poxiness.

HAHA :icon_vomit:

...as if grunge never happened...

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Prog metal FTW!

For mine they are the greatest band of the last several years, brilliant stuff.

Listening to the lastest Iron Maiden here, only got it yesterday and it blew me away, since there is 4-5 songs in the soundwave set from it thought I better give it a listen before seeing them tomorow night.

For mine they are the greatest band of the last several years, brilliant stuff.

Listening to the lastest Iron Maiden here, only got it yesterday and it blew me away, since there is 4-5 songs in the soundwave set from it thought I better give it a listen before seeing them tomorow night.
It's a pretty damn impressive album, coming from a bunch of 50-60 year old blokes.

Best thing they've done since Seventh Son

Hope the sound is better for you guys in SA than it was in Sydney. For all the bands, not just Maiden - who I must admit I walked out of early in their set.

If you get a chance, check out the Melvins. They were a surprise gem for me, along with High on Fire, despite their early technical issues.

Hope the sound is better for you guys in SA than it was in Sydney. For all the bands, not just Maiden - who I must admit I walked out of early in their set.

If you get a chance, check out the Melvins. They were a surprise gem for me, along with High on Fire, despite their early technical issues.
High on Fire were the highlight for me up here in brisbane. They sounded huge for a three piece, and Pike had his 9 string les paul to boot. The only downside was the half hour set time. I only caught the last ten minutes of the Melvins, basically Civilised Worm then Electric Flower. I wish I'd watched their whole set. I'd highly recommend any punk rock fans to check out Fucked Up. It took a few songs to get the mix right (3 guitars live, their last album had many, many guitar tracks, unusual in the world of punk rock) and I think they wound the PA back a bit but I thought they were awesome. Vocalist Father Damien spent the entire set in the crowd which was cool.

I'm really off the pulse with you guys - the new Maiden best since 7th son? The new Motorhead the best one for ages?

Mastodon we can agree on. Ihsahn's last solo album was majestorial, Opeth live just as amazing as Opeth in the studio.

I think Maiden are the most phenomenal live band in the world, regardless of age, but the Final Frontier has one too many lags for me...for me there is no way that Matter of Life or Death can be beaten in the last 4 albums.

HOF are great as are Melvins but both leave me jut wishing for that little bit more...live they are amazing though, I will grant you that - masters of the craft on a smaller personal stage.

Anyway, this is of course totally subjective and it's great to talk metal on here as well (especially with guys who know that metal extends beyond the Roadrunner catalogue and baggy jeans with weird fringes!)

I think Maiden are the most phenomenal live band in the world, regardless of age, but the Final Frontier has one too many lags for me...for me there is no way that Matter of Life or Death can be beaten in the last 4 albums.

Great album, although I find it less atmospheric than Dance of Death, but both of them are the sum of their parts. Final Frontier starts weak (by Maiden standards, anyway), and just keeps adding layer upon layer of complexity. By the end, it's an emotional rollercoaster, and I can't help but get a lump in my throat at the thought of that old couple in their fallout shelter...

I must get onto it then :super: , haven't bought any Iron Maiden for ages
At first, I was "m'eh", but persisted, as I'd read reviews claiming it was a creeper. After about the 6th listen, it just went blam-o into my cerebellum, but like a good Russian Imperial Stout, it needs both time and patience.

Edit: Been drinkin'

Something we can all agree on instead (as we are clearly out of sync with the new one hee hee):

Adrian Smith with a les paul - very cool.

This was the album that snagged me...

edit: deleted some nostalgic waffle

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't beat Stan Rodgers and I just got "The Very Best Of Stan Rodgers" CD.

Inspirational music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an awesome day at Soundwave yesterday. :super: :super:

Amazing line-up. Some highlights - The Melvins (twin drumkits in sync), QOTSA, Bullet for my Valentine, Pennywise, Sevendust, Primus, One day as a Lion (Zac from Rage against the machine), Slash ripping through a few classic gunners tracks. Dimmu Borgir (Norweigan black metal) was not what i was expecting. Very symphonic, even orchestral in parts. Will have to find some of their songs and have a listen.

Iron Maiden was a very boring way to finish a top day. Songs seem to go on for ever and all sound the same. Left halfway through their set. Apologies to Iron Maiden fans - they just don't do it for me.

Was also a tad disappointed with Slayer. Even hardcore Slayer fans (I like them but can take them or leave them) weren't impressed with their choice of songs.

Was the first festival i drove home from. Wasn't a hard decision to make - $8 cans of carlton draught or aluminium? bottles of carlton dry. Free water was a no brainer.

Latest posts

Back