What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cocko said:
Why is Mike Patton so obsessed with mics and Oh, now I will sing through this one! I have done an audio engineering course and I can tell you its over the top.

I went to Bungle on their Disco Valante tour and he had a table of mics laid out to sing through....

Not dismissing his artistic integrity to deliver his music etc but ****.... WHY? Mike, WHY?
And if you dont know, he likes shitting in random places!

just sayin...
2 possibilities that I can think of:

Different effects on each one (most obvious and what I've seen various performers do)

If the sound is the same or very similar through both then I would presume it's just performance related (eg looks cool rather than is cool, adds a bit of drama, etc).

Never been a huge Mike Patton fan (did once cook him Pigeon when I worked as a chef) but I do like bits and pieces of his stuff and think his influence on music generally is pretty great and I agree with him about wolfmother.

NP: Another cover - this time Coil: Tainted Love (featuring Mark Almond):

Last edited by a moderator:
manticle said:
2 possibilities that I can think of:

Different effects on each one (most obvious and what I've seen various performers do)

If the sound is the same or very similar through both then I would presume it's just performance related (eg looks cool rather than is cool, adds a bit of drama, etc).

Never been a huge Mike Patton fan (did once cook him Pigeon when I worked as a chef) but I do like bits and pieces of his stuff and think his influence on music generally is pretty great and I agree with him about wolfmother.

NP: Another cover - this time Coil: Tainted Love (featuring ark Almond):

Far out I get a full on Kubrick vibe from that...thats awesome!

Om.

they're on tour here this week (Brisbane tonight) and I can'g go, too much uni work to do. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71umk27fq7A

I farking love advaitic (love the first two also, but I have been giving advaitic a thrashing all week...that and dopesmoker out of nostaligia).

I arrived late to the sleep/om party a couple of years ago & god is good was the first album I heard... so I guess I discovered their albums in reverse. It's like the gift that kept on giving.

EDIT: their 'new' drummer was on 4ZZZ today for a pretty decent length interview.

Do you dig HOF? Took me ages to come to that party, but ******* love them now.

I haven't given them a go for a while, and definitely felt like I was missing something when I did. I think it was the vocals that put me off.

Big fan of Mike Patton and a lot of his work. Really enjoyed his participation in Lovage- music to make love to your old lady by.
I still think he's one fucked up unit tho

Liam_snorkel said:
Om.

they're on tour here this week (Brisbane tonight) and I can'g go, too much uni work to do. :(
Going to see them tomorrow in Sydney. Second time around for me. Wish I'd seen them with Hakius on drums though. That guy's drumming with Sleep and early Om is probably my favourite drumming of the modern era.

tricache said:
Far out I get a full on Kubrick vibe from that...thats awesome!
Directed by Peter Christopherson, one of the founding band members.

Enjoyed that lovage track camo. Made me feel slightly funny in the trouser department.

And becaause of that, I'm now listening to Elysian Fields and the funny feeling remains.

jennifer4.jpg

Do you think she could have something to do with it?

Headphones on. Lying down with beer in hand.

Where did 20 minutes just go?! The beer is not even finished!

manticle said:
Directed by Peter Christopherson, one of the founding band members.

Enjoyed that lovage track camo. Made me feel slightly funny in the trouser department.

And becaause of that, I'm now listening to Elysian Fields and the funny feeling remains.

jennifer4.jpg

Do you think she could have something to do with it?

Yeah that Jennifer Charles has a smoking hot voice. Didn't realise the rest of her was too. Ooooh yeeaah.

treefiddy said:

Headphones on. Lying down with beer in hand.

Where did 20 minutes just go?! The beer is not even finished!

That was awesome

Elysian fields has made me go all soft and reminiscent.

NP: Mazzy Star: Fade into You

I used to listen to a lot of music with female writers and vocals - Mazzy/Hope sandoval, Miranda Sex Garden, Loreena McKennit, Cocteau twins, Love spirals downwards, Kristin Hersh/throwing muses, PJ Harvey, Diamanda Galas to name a few.

A lot of the music I listen to has sparse or no vocals so the gender of the maker can become unknown and/or irrelevant but I realise I do still have a great fondness for good female vocals.

As a follow up to the fantastic coil version of Tainted Love, I thought I'd link to one of the worst most spurious versions of both that and of someone who is unfortunately closely associated with industrial music/culture in many people's minds.

I do not, (and I emphasize the do and not) have any interest in this kind of music beyond how incredibly shit it is and how it completely misrepresents a culture and history in which I have an interest. I offer you the Tooheys platinum version of industrial music;

Just so I can post in this thread for the 50 millionth time: Current 93 - A sad sadness song.

Not the biggest current 93 fan which is mainly due to the annoying vocals in most songs but in this song there is a guest vocalist (or an effect that makes the lead vocalist sound female and much better than usual)

manticle said:
As a follow up to the fantastic coil version of Tainted Love, I thought I'd link to one of the worst most spurious versions of both that and of someone who is unfortunately closely associated with industrial music/culture in many people's minds.

I do not, (and I emphasize the do and not) have any interest in this kind of music beyond how incredibly shit it is and how it completely misrepresents a culture and history in which I have an interest. I offer you the Tooheys platinum version of industrial music;

Tooheys platinum version of industrial music!!! LOVE IT!!! I used to love stirring up all the "hardcore" industrial people when I was in school who thought Manson was the father of goth and industrial music...yet none of them had heard of Skinny Puppy or even Ministry!! What was wrong with these people!!

I was listening to Led Zepplin - How Many More Times, which prompted me to look into Albert King - The Hunter. I ended up looking at this, which I never knew existed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORFU3AD3N_Y

ED: And this because of the one above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deb-LFMu9so

tricache said:
Tooheys platinum version of industrial music!!! LOVE IT!!! I used to love stirring up all the "hardcore" industrial people when I was in school who thought Manson was the father of goth and industrial music...yet none of them had heard of Skinny Puppy or even Ministry!! What was wrong with these people!!
The last thing I want to do is get all music snobby on people - music moves and shifts and changes and evolves like all parts of culture and I have got into bands that are seminal in various genres much more recently than might be expected if I were super cool and knew everything all the time. People can still like tchaichovsky now even if they weren't at his first performance though right?

However it is the absolute disparity between the cultural intention of so many things that makes me cringe when the cheap shitty (or other times over intellectualised) versions become what people solely know and associate. Industrial music, jazz, punk, beer and cider have all had it happen to them.

Hell even early black metal is so different in its intentions to a lot of the 2nd wave Scandinavian stuff (and beyond). Don't want to stop evolution of culture - just not forget the wheres, whys, wherefores and whos especially if they're going to be replaced by gaffe. Good shit happens. People get hold of it, jump on the bandwagon and make shit stuff with a vague link. Then people forget the relevance or origins of the link and see the shit as the thing. Plato would roll in his grave.

Back