What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sponge said:
I've listened to it a few times before that way and I will admit, I think it makes for an even better album.

Liam_snorkel said:
disposition/reflection/triad shouldn't be split up, neither should eon blue / the patient

Chunkious said:
Danny stated that the album was was built around one song
How I imagined today's thread:
txk3.jpg

Well back to non-tool talk, I have been listening to orange goblin quite a bit of late.

I forget the names of the people who have mentioned them on here before, but thank you all.

Such a good old school rock feel to it, and really love the dirty vocals.

They would have been one of the only bands I wouldve seen at this years SW. Pretty disappointed with the line up otherwise..

I really shouldve seen one of their side shows though. god dam.

Slow day at work. Listening through Yes - Close to the edge and King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king.

I might have to throw a couple of rush albums in and get my heavy dose of classic prog rock.

The title track of close to the edge has to be my favourite ever classic prog song.

sponge said:
Slow day at work. Listening through Yes - Close to the edge and King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king.

I might have to throw a couple of rush albums in and get my heavy dose of classic prog rock.

The title track of close to the edge has to be my favourite ever classic prog song.
Prog On!, brother.

Ayreon still on high rotation at Chez WarmBeer. Don't think I'll need update this status for a while yet...

WarmBeer said:
Prog On!, brother.

Ayreon still on high rotation at Chez WarmBeer. Don't think I'll need update this status for a while yet...
I had (yet another) listen to the human equation earlier this week and still want something a little more from the album. Great album, don't get me wrong, but just needs some more progressive movements.

I havent listened to any of his other stuff though. Are there any albums you'd recommend?

sponge said:
<snip/> ... needs some more progressive movements.
A rock-opera double concept album. A dozen different vocalist playing aspects of the protagonists emotional state. Part of a 5-album post-apocalyptic science fiction epic (yeah, take that! Claudio Sanchez). A flute solo, a didgeridoo solo, and a bagpipe solo, FFS! What could possibly be more prog than that?

Oh, you want more twangly guitars?

Listen again. It took me 6 goes to "get" it.
sponge said:
I havent listened to any of his other stuff though. Are there any albums you'd recommend?
I've had a bit of a listen to 0101100 (or whatever it's called). It's good, but maybe I just haven't listened to it enough, yet.

I found Arjen's work through Akerfedt's appearance on tHE, as I'm a bit of an Opeth fanboi. Am yet to plow further through the back catalog.

WarmBeer said:
A rock-opera double concept album. A dozen different vocalist playing aspects of the protagonists emotional state. Part of a 5-album post-apocalyptic science fiction epic (yeah, take that! Claudio Sanchez). A flute solo, a didgeridoo solo, and a bagpipe solo, FFS! What could possibly be more prog than that?

Oh, you want more twangly guitars?

Listen again. It took me 6 goes to "get" it.
I've had a bit of a listen to 0101100 (or whatever it's called). It's good, but maybe I just haven't listened to it enough, yet.

I found Arjen's work through Akerfedt's appearance on tHE, as I'm a bit of an Opeth fanboi. Am yet to plow further through the back catalog.
I do admit that it's a big, bold album with a great story to it, but I like my progressive music to have timing and key changes as well. The added solo's are definitely an interesting twist, very much in line with older prog music such as focus, but due to the chaotic concept of the album and the different layers/parts, I just found it lacking a little interest musically.

The musicians he got on the album are incredible musicians, there's no doubting that, but I think it just needed a little more prog and a little less rock opera.

As I said though, still a great album, and that's just my take on it. Everyone will have their opinions. For example, I think dream theater got it preeeeetty spot on with scenes from a memory, with a similar style of concept album, but also had the chaotic musical backing to help it along.

I will have some more listens through it though, because just as when I first listened to the mars volta, they took me a few listens to before I became hooked. Now I can't stop listening to them.

I will admit, I never got into opeth - mainly due to the vocals. Real good musicians though...

sponge said:
... I never got into opeth - mainly due to the vocals...
Harsh vocals are a little like Pegging:
First up, it's a bit scary and painful,
Then you get used to it, it's still a little uncomfortable, but you can see the promise of what's to come
A few more times and the rawness and power overwhelms your senses
Finally you start to crave it, and wouldn't have it any other way

Edit: I, umm, a word

And for that very reason, I will not get into harsh vocals :lol:

But quite a few of the bands I listen to have harsh vocals.... I might have to tell the mrs the good/bad news.

Jean Grae - Dust Ruffle

Kinda pissed Cake or Death isn't out yet but this'll do 'til it drops.

Latest posts

Back