What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mastodon - Blood Mountain.

Love this album.

Totally. For me it's the album where everything came together. They played Billboard in Melbourne early this year to about 600 people. Mega.

The bonus disc of Crack The Skye came with a making-of, which is pretty interesting.

Been badged a bit of a hipster metal band after Pitchfork sang their praises over Blood Mountain but that's metalheads for you.

Blood and Thunder!

Been getting into alot of Orange Goblin of late, double vocals on top of sludgey stoner riffola, hellz yeah :super:

Obelyskkh - White Lightning

Some unsavoury Tool similarities to be heard early on but otherwise a fairly decent record.

It's unsavoury that they sound similar to Tool, or you find Tool unsavoury?
tumblr_m7wwbiGYkM1qawqhu.png

I am not (any longer) a big Tool fan, but would not deny the impact they have had on modern Prog Rock/Metal. Without them, I would possibly be sitting at work right now listening to twangly Rush-style guitar breaks and other Fripp-eries.

Regardless, I would even listen to freakin' Nikki Minaj if Danny Carey was on drums.

The opening track is pretty much just 4 or 5 minutes of detuned hammer-ons and pull-offs. Just saying it is a real step backwards when compared to the rest of the record.

some French BM: Reverence - The Asthenic Ascension

Last edited by a moderator:
Some unsavoury Tool similarities to be heard early on but otherwise a fairly decent record.

Very much an oxymoron...

...IMHO ;)

I would possibly be sitting at work right now listening to twangly Rush-style guitar breaks and other Fripp-eries.

I spent most of my yesterday doing just that. I am confused as to where the problem lies :D

Regardless, I would even listen to freakin' Nikki Minaj if Danny Carey was on drums.

I will admit, I think tool would've struggled to become what they are without danny. Justin and Adam are not overly technical musicians, but danny ties all that in and makes up for it so very well with his incredible drumming abilities and adds that extra depth of complexity.

I will admit, I think tool would've struggled to become what they are without danny. Justin and Adam are not overly technical musicians, but danny ties all that in and makes up for it so very well with his incredible drumming abilities and adds that extra depth of complexity.

Struggled? Faded back into the quagmire or the LA indie music scene more like it. Hardly media darlings Tool.

Zepplin? Just another warbling folk rock outfit without Bonhams input.

Nirvana? Just another misery guts bunch of grunge wasters without Grohl.

Part of Zappa's genius was understanding how what an integral the drummer was to any groups success. Thats why he enlisted freak's like Bozzio.

Speaking of Grohl, When it comes to the Foo fighters, I'm more of a 'best of' fan. But this song really smacks it out of the park for me.

+1

The man is freaking awesome

things heat up at around the 4:10 mark:

these things are stupid but um...Brann wins! and the chubby keyboardist with the mohawk and headband rules!

I just watched the video for Cattle Decapiation - Forced Gender Reassignment.
It's not for the faint hearted.

Back