What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, right? I was forever having arguments with friends who would insist that mclusky are heavier than ATDI. Madness.

As you say, not a bad article but they've lived a sheltered life if that's the heaviest shit they can think of - and they're trying too hard with The White Album.

I think it's a pretty good list. Electric Wizard and Sleep fit my definition of "Heavy" to a tee. Including The White Album is a bit of a wank though. Mind you, I'll argue black and blue that some late 60's and early 70's noisy blues rock bands like Blue Cheer are Heavy Metal, mostly because it then allows me to argue that despite looking like Metal on paper, Slipknot are not Metal (let alone Heavy) at all! I'd also argue that Dopesmoker is better than Jerusalem. Much rawer mix, and isn't split into 10 minute chunks. 64 minutes of Stoner goodness. Might give it a spin later.

Now Listening:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have included some early swans on that list, certainly over slipshit or the beatles.

Probably Sunn0)) as well.

Still any list is never going to be definitive, exhaustive or make everybody happy. It also introduced me to electric wizard which I think I like.

dopesmoker.png

Always wanted to get this painted on the side of a panelvan!

Now Playing:

Since when did Youtube let you upload hour long videos?

Manticle: Electric Wizard are the goods! Try some early Cathedral too if you haven't already heard them. 'Forest of Equilibrium' is pretty much the seminal British new wave of Doom album.

Elysium - Celestial Sounds and Tribal Beats

Edit: link

Since when did Youtube let you upload hour long videos?
by memory it changed when google bought youtube.

on the topic of "heavy", and slayer being included in that top ten list.. tori amos' cover of raining blood is pretty alright

I basically stopped listening to metal when contrived boyband acts like Slipknot started appearing.

I have been listening to a bunch of Weathermen, Leak Bros, Cage, El-P etc.

Prizes for awesome album art. Aside from Cage having Biafra 'as Dubya' on his album, it would seem that they are also DK album art fans.

I basically stopped listening to metal when contrived boyband acts like Slipknot started appearing.
I basically stopped drinking beer when contrived lo-carb beverages like Pure Blonde started appearing.

Dude, you're missing the point. If you don't like Slipknot, don't listen to Slipknot, who gives a rat's what other people listen to?

Metal. It's the IIPA of music.

Nah. Jazz is the IIPA of music. Metal is like the VB of music - people who like it generally won't have anything else.

Nah. Jazz is the IIPA of music. Metal is like the VB of music - people who like it generally won't have anything else.
I appreciate the generalisation.

I'd like to hear more about which jobsmusic you think make a person worthy and which do(es) not.

Edit. Besides, everybody knows Jazz is the aged lambic of music. Initially unappealing, but grows on you until finally it's hidden complexities open up and make lesser styles seem a tad bland.

I didn't say people shouldn't listen to metal, WarmBeer. Or even that metal isn't worth listening to.

But if someone does only listen to one type of music then I will unreservedly say that their opinion is not worth hearing - regardless of what style that music may be.

As for the Jazz thing, I was thinking something similar for IIPAs but yeah you're probably right.

Jazz is definately not the IIPA of music.

I'd say there is a pretty strong correlation between people who post on this site who like metal and drink IIPA's. Personally, I'll have nothing to do with either.

I discovered jazz when I was still drinking XXXX Bitter, long before I discovered LCPA :D .

Anyway, apparently, I'm supposed to attend the opera and ballet because I enjoy a Cooper's Pale Ale <_< .

edit:grammer

Two things seem to be requiring clarification: I post in jest - please, let's not manufacture a shitstorm over a pretty obvious joke; also, I was not making a suggestion that VB is what metal aficionados all should, or do, drink.

Often abrasive yet much room for nuance. Sounds reasonable to me.

And metal, at least black metal, would be Russian Imperial Stout I guess.

Or more accurately (and don't have a freaking cry metal heads) metal is bourbon and coke hahaha.

I like some metal by the way, generally speedier thrashier metal or crossover shit like S.O.D.

Back