What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good onya Nick! That's dedication. Have a good one, mate.

Righto,

Fiddle farted around with Beersmith (for the first time ever) while waiting for the ladies to get lunch ready.

Came up with this, still need to work on my beersmith skills, and the accepted info to be posted here on AHB.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Pale Ale - Challenger - Boxing Day
Brewer: Geoff Tewierik
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.72 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Barret Burston Ale Malt (6.3 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
30.00 gm Challenger [6.10 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
30.00 gm Challenger [6.10 %] (15 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
30.00 gm Challenger [6.10 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.04 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C

Looks the goods, sort of an English/American style hybrid. Should turn out nice and clean hops wise with the US-05 in there!

Cheers!

geoff, I think that's more of a Summer Ale than the style ur looking for.

I thought that the style required crystal. Anyone else wanna agree here?

Was looking at doing a straight SMASH, and only chose the English Pale Ale option in beersmith, as I had to choose something, or so I thought - first time with beersmith and all.

SMASH away...Go like a Champion!

Not sure if it'll be balanced enough without crystal.

Please let us know.
BEERZ

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I did a similar brew earlier this year, to see what Challenger was like as a hop.
97% Maris Otter, and all Challenger to 32 IBU. Notts yeast.

Didn't turn out good to my taste.
It lacked the balancing body, complexity, and character from some Crystal malt, as averted to by Les.
The flavour and aroma of Challenger on its own is not one of my favourites. I think it blends well with other hops though.

However, your experience may differ from mine, so go ahead and experiment.
Maybe SO-4 might be a better choice than US-05 ?

Balance may be all out of whack, but I'm trying three different beers in the time off I have over the Christmas/New Years Break, all SMASHs using 100% Ale Malt. First is the Challenger, second is a Cascade and third is Amarillo.

For me it's not so much as getting a balanced beer, more an experiment with different hops on their own and tasting the difference between them to educate my palate.

Ahhhh boxing day :)

Brewing a Weissbier.

70% Weyermann Pale Wheat
25% Weyermann Boh Pils
5% Weyermann Carahell.

1.046, 12 IBU with Hallertau

Couldn't be simpler.

Cheers

Hoping mine will be in the mash tun in time for the first ball of the Test.

*Edit - yep, mashed in at 8:55am, perfect, even hit my temps ;)

I was happy with my effort this morning. Tidied up the garage as there was no room to brew in, cracked the grain, got 50 liters of water from my HWS :) up to temp, did a zwickel feral ( :huh: ) rest and infused up to 63 for rhe mash, which is now recircing in under an hour.

Looks like I might have to build a mash stirrer for my tun, I lost half a degree opening up the tun to give it a quick stir after 15 minutes, to make sure I had no lumps.

No what happens is it cools on the outside edges of the mash and when you stir it in it cools the whole mash.

What is your mash tun made of?

38L Keep Cool Esky.

Just about to drain it, here's hoping the new falsie does what it's supposed to.

The other thing i find helps is cutting a piece of foam insulation to fit in the esky and push down ontop of the mash. If you have airspace in the mash tun it will suck heat out of the mash. A bit of inch thick white foam stops this.

Have a fun day brewing.

Yeah I will, just got me a stuck sparge - joy of joys.

Edit: Sorted - elbow on the falsie blocked up

Ive got almost 60 liters in the kettle and its comming to the boil.

Just cracked a bottle or Weihenstphaner to enjoy while it boils...... well..... the beginning of the boil.

Its Boxing day :)

Not sure what the target is for my brew prior to it being boiled, but I got 1.048 into the kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back