What are these floaties in my wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Check it out. Kind of gooey stuff swirling around in my kettle.
Wheat, pills, and a little munich. The only other thing was a couple of handfulls of rice gulls - not exactly fresh one however.
Drained clean from the tun, so its not grainy bits.

This was taken pre-hopps and seemed to begin to shortly after the boil started.
Looks like a nice beef stock bubbling away.

DSC_6430_zps8fad2232.jpg

After a wirfloc and chill, much of it seemed to clump and drop out, but plenty still found its way into the fermenter.
Looks pretty clear today though.

DSC_6441_zps80e4e400.jpg

Everything else is just dandy, though the 1056 pitched last night has yet to fire. But there seems to be little doubt it's ready to rumble.

Any ideas?

DSC_6443_zps8c0f480e.jpg

I believe it's just hot break, or protein matter. I could well be mistaken but it doesn't look abnormal.

Perfectly normal hot break - Now you know what it looks like :)

While it doesn't look like the hot break I usually get, I've read the yanks talking about hot break looking like "egg drop soup" which is what that looks like.

mje and Ross, so if this is what hot break is supposed to look like and I've never seen it, does that mean I've never really got a hot break or is it just that some times it looks different?

Dunno to be honest, but I think as long as you boil for 60 you should be fine regardless if how it looks. I don't get hot break like that, but I boil in a keggle, which makes it hard to see into the wort. I don't look, to be honest I haven't looked for break in a boiling batch for years, once the initial boil starts where it tries to escape, I knock the heat back and walk away til the first hop addition is due (90 boil ). Different brands of pils malt etc could make a difference.

Many hot breaks appear different because of their composition. Malts with high protein content produce spectacular break!

Boiling stage looks like all of my brews, simple hot break.
However mine fans out into an even layer on the bottom - Mainly because i pump it through a therminator instead of a cooling coil :)

Hot break Dave, i have also fermented on top of it with no affects at all.

I usually get a little in my cubes and the whole lot gets dumped into my fermenter

I get that when I mash at a low temp especially with the german malts. Was it really stringy?

bradsbrew said:
I get that when I mash at a low temp especially with the german malts. Was it really stringy?
Yup. But it more or less dissolved if you tried to pinch a bit.

Good-o then. Hot break it is. Everythings ticking away nicley in the fermenter so all's good.

You know, you can see a likness the virgin Mary in the trub if you squint your eyes.
Little suprised nobody picked that up..

Latest posts

Back