What About A Corona Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Had a funtion the other night and had to drink production beer , tried Corona with lemon and it was nice , would like a clone recipe
Cheers Batz

Hi Batz,

Bout time I was able to put back in rather than keep asking silly newbie brewer questions. I had a Corona clone at a mates place a few weeks ago. I asked what it was and was told that it was a Beermakers Mexican Cerveza with a #15 Brew blend (Converter Kit) from Brewcraft. (<www.brewcraft.com.au>)

Tasted real close to the real thing. He did tell me that It ferments slow and not to worry if it is in the primary for 9 - 11 days.

He racked and dry hopped (15 grams) and bulk primed in the secondary. It sat on the shelf for 2 months in the dark in his cellar at a constant 18 degrees. The OG was 1048 and the FG was 1006.

Hope this helps

Yoyo :D

thanks
I'll give it a try
Would have thought a lager wyeast fermented in the fridge , but hey?

Just to kick this off again , I am going to try a Corona clone for something completely different
What about a partial or full mash ?
Anyone have or seen a recipe anywhere ?

Batz

Was surfing the web recently and found what I assume is a clone of Corona.

Amigo Mexican Lager

If you end up doing a Corona clone mash let me know how it goes.

Hoops

Thanks for that , I found a dead easy one as well , uses a little crystal , and dried malt , can't remember the rest , have a wyeast Pilsen in a starter for it now

Batz

Let us know how they go. I am partial to Corona and will give it a try but I am still only setting up for all grain mash brewing.
The crystal malt surprises me though, I thought it would just be pale malts & adjuncts, but I have only scratched the surface as far as knowledge about brewing goes though.
The more I learn, the less I realize I actually know!

Hoops

It was only 150 gm
If I remember I'll post the website when I get home

Batz
did you end up doing a Corona clone?
If so what recipe and how did it go?
Hoops

hi hoops
batz is still on holidays so you will have to hit him up when he gets back online.

cheers
big d

Yeah, I remembered he was away after I posted.
Do you know when he's due back?

no idea hoops
all i know is that hes using up some long service leave.

Hi hoops,
I will go back and check my notes , I did one but was not impressed with the result , therefore gave up on the whole idea.
I believe the guest lurker has a couple of recipes on his web page , I have'nt tried them

Cheers Batz

Thanks Batz
After I split my WLP940 I plan to do a Corona clone, so I would be interested in your notes
Hoops

Well I tried my AG Corona clone on the weekend. The recipe is off the Whitelabs website although I reduced the amount of flaked maize (thanks go to Goliath Dave for his generous contribution of flaked maize :) ).
Colour was spot on but is lacking that distinct Corona flavour. I think that it is due to the fact that the recipe calls for Liberty hops which from memory was specifically bred by Americans for it's high yield and stronger flavour (learnt in hindsight). Hallertau being a close alternative I think is alot milder so next time I would probably add more bittering hops and add some towards the end of the boil for flavour. (Maybe even try a hopback? or Mash hop :huh: )
It has turned out to be a really good beer that is hard to stop drinking. It goes down really well and would be an awesome summer beer. It is definitely one for my regular list and next batch will be a double batch.

Hoops

I can post the exact grain bill/mash schedule later if you want, but it's late so I'm going to bed.

have posted the details of my 1st attempt at a Corona Clone. Pretty close to the whitelabs recipe although I dropped the amount of flaked maize.

I'm not sure why everybody uses maize in Corona clones. Protz says it's around 40% rice, with 10-12 IBUs.

had a few coronas at the local golf club this arvo and must ask the question?
not a bad drop on a hot humid tropical day but why would you try to clone this when you have the capacity to make more tasty brews.
mind you i didnt have the usuall slice of lemon attached to the neck( does this add taste?) <_<

cheers
big d

it goes better with lime, i think it helps to get rid of what ever that taste is.

must be a mexican thing, need lemons or limes to go with thier drinks ;)

The lemon/lime is there to mask the lightstruck flavour from it being in clear glass bottles and under flouros.

Back