Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet hops for dry hopping

Discussion in 'Hops' started by Vazerhino, 6/3/19.

1. Vazerhino

Posted 6/3/19
    i dropped 270g of fresh / wet hops in my fermenter (fermentasaurus). They all floated on top. I sterilised a spoon and stirred them in - still half on top. It almost seems a waste and there is not enough contact between the wort / beer and hops. What do others do? Should I grind them up first in a food processor? I want to minimise the oxygen exposure. Any thoughts?

2. MHB

Posted 6/3/19
    Don't do it!
    Fresh hops are full of Chlorophylls, there are several, and most of them are alcohol soluble. Absinth gets its green colour from adding fresh botanicals to alcohol.
    The other problem is Grassiness, not really a nice flavour in most beers. As hops are dried the Chlorophyll breaks down and quite a few undesirable aroma and flavour compounds are also either evaporated or broken down. There are really good reasons why hops are dried, not just for storage.
    I have never tasted a wet hopped beer that was worth the effort.
    Mark

3. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 7/3/19
    I did a collaboration Harvest Ale a few years back and we used 33kgs of wet hops into 930L for dry (wet) hopping in the fermentor, it was delicious.

Best to put them loosely in a weighted bag if you are going to use them this way.

4. Vazerhino

Posted 7/3/19
    thanks for the advice