Westway International Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Did a quick search on both ahb and google but couldn't find anything on the westway international kegs, in terms of what they are like in comparrison to the corny's. Anybody got them, what's your opinion?

Obviously looking into a kegging system.

This is the keg I'm talking about. http://www.brewmart.com.au/index.php?menu_...ZMt5RpUIWYjD5ne

Cheers!

The 2nd hand cornies are cheaper and alot better. Those kegs have an exposed over lap from the join weld on the inside and cant withstand the same pressure and overall feel cheap. The bottom is domed so can definetly pop out under pressure. the 4 keg deal from craftbrewer is a brilliant deal in comparison to two of those or the price of kegs over here.

Im sure there was a thread somewhere.

Having owned second hand cornies as well as a brand new 9L cornie, I can't see the benefit of owning new ones. As long as the inside is clean there's really no need for brand new. They are built tough.

The supply of cornies will dry up in a few years. The American ones are just about finished and we are now getting them from Europe - however it's going to be a few more years before we have to resort to another system. If anything I'd be looking at these kegs down the track, although the current kegmate / tomohawks can only take 2 of them. And of course you would need competely new disconnects, fittings etc. I saw them on a USA beer forum and I think NewGuy knows all about them but I can't remember for the life of me what they are called - I think they hold 23L so would be the duck's for home brewing.

new_keg_style.jpg

Edit: yes that would be right, six American Gallons which is about bang on 23L

The supply of cornies will dry up in a few years. The American ones are just about finished and we are now getting them from Europe - however it's going to be a few more years before we have to resort to another system. If anything I'd be looking at these kegs down the track, although the current kegmate / tomohawks can only take 2 of them. And of course you would need competely new disconnects, fittings etc. I saw them on a USA beer forum and I think NewGuy knows all about them but I can't remember for the life of me what they are called - I think they hold 23L so would be the duck's for home brewing.

View attachment 48810

Edit: yes that would be right, six American Gallons which is about bang on 23L

Bribie,

Like you I am an old ******* but unlike you I don not beleive that the 'end is nigh' for the corny kegs. I have been hearing this for most of the last 15 years or so that I have been kegging. There are huge numbers of cornies in use by the softdrink industries in the 'dry' countries - my last few came from Israel. There are new ones being produced all the time to replace the ones in use so there should be a good supply of used ones available.

Having said that I do hope that you are proven right as we already sell the types of kegs that you illustrated. They are 'tall' versions of the standard brewery kegs.

HTH,
Dave

Someone is using cornies in WA commercially as the cold storage place in the industral estate down the road sometimes has a few pallets next to the hundreds of empty 50lts from Fosters distribution center.

Non believers Corny-geddon is nigh.. :eek:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Latest posts

Back