West End Gold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68ann69

Reaction score
hi there,

i would like to start making some beer. i'm sill deciding to get a tooheys kit (has bottle capper with no bottles) or to get the coopers kit (30 plastic bottles). i like west end gold as it isn't yeasty like midstrength carlton (headache material). i'm new to this, so can anybody help me please.

ann.

Go the coopers kit, it's great I still use mine today.

When you get the coopers kit, it comes with a coopers lager, why not just try that and if your looking to make a mid try adding 1/2 a kg of dextrose with it. nice and simple... or I'm sure HBS have mid brew bags which you could use instead.

sluggerdog said:

When you get the coopers kit, it comes with a coopers lager, why not just try that and if your looking to make a mid try adding 1/2 a kg of dextrose with it. nice and simple... or I'm sure HBS have mid brew bags which you could use instead.
[post="110615"][/post]​

sluggerdog said:

[post="110615"][/post]​

no problems will get the dextrose next time i'm in town. as you can see i'm new to this

just a thought- I really don't like plastic bottles, so think about whether you would be confortable with drinking beer out of plastic. I would go for the tooheys because of the capper- the can is only for your first batch, but if the capper is any good you'll use it a lot

sluggerdog said:

if your looking to make a mid try adding 1/2 a kg of dextrose with it. nice and simple...
[post="110615"][/post]​

To clarify... I'm sure slugger means to use half of the 1Kg pack of supplied dextrose, and not adding another half kilo to the dextrose supplied......

Please correct me if I am wrong....
M

Also, Can't fault the Coopers kits.... Have everything you need, reusable PET bottles, with caps, Nothing else needed.

I only use glass bottles to store beer, if I am doing a really meaty stout that I want to shove under the stairs for a couple of years. If I intend drinking the brew withing 6 months, then into PET it goes.

Also, extra bottles are cheaply available from BigW, KMart etc.....

Then of course, kegging throws all of this out of the window...

M

mandrakar said:
sluggerdog said:

if your looking to make a mid try adding 1/2 a kg of dextrose with it. nice and simple...
[post="110615"][/post]​

To clarify... I'm sure slugger means to use half of the 1Kg pack of supplied dextrose, and not adding another half kilo to the dextrose supplied......

Please correct me if I am wrong....
M

Also, Can't fault the Coopers kits.... Have everything you need, reusable PET bottles, with caps, Nothing else needed.

I only use glass bottles to store beer, if I am doing a really meaty stout that I want to shove under the stairs for a couple of years. If I intend drinking the brew withing 6 months, then into PET it goes.

Also, extra bottles are cheaply available from BigW, KMart etc.....

Then of course, kegging throws all of this out of the window...

M
[post="110681"][/post]​
have put a bid on a kit on ebay as it has 2 fermenters, bottle capper & 15 cartons of coopers bottles. just hope i win it as he is willing to bring it to me

sluggerdog said:
After rethinking it a little the kit + 1/2 kg of dextrose might be a little too strong for a mid, maybe try just the kit and fill it to around 19 litres.

see here: http://www.brewcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPa...6&idDetails=172
[post="110904"][/post]​
will check out that site as i was checking out the 1st site with all the forums on coopers & it was a lot of input. 12 -13 years ago a mate bottled for me with the coopers draught,1kg of sugar, waited a week & put 1 baby scoop to each longneck & drank it 2 weeks later. stopped drinking years ago & started up again on westend gold as i have kids. don't need to have a hangover the next day. a lot has changed since i last made a brew.

Hi there,

I've only started to make my beer (pretty slack as I only just realised how long my 1st post was). I've made 4 lots all with 1/2kg of be2. I also realised that I had not enough sugar in the scoop until I went into Big W yesterday. I was only filling it up to the line, not the lip. Oh well, hopefully it will improve. I am going to try racking the last one into the 2nd keg & my friend has also helped me with enough echoes to make 3 batches, as I decided that my first 2 brews went flat after awhile because of underpriming & I prefer the echoes. I have purchased 30 plastic 740ml bottles at Big W so it is easier to take when I go to my friend's house. At least I know where I went wrong & I had a friend to help me try them out. I cetainly love my bottle capper as it can do various size bottles.

Cheers Ann.

Back