Weldless tap measurement CUB keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate, as you know the kegs are radiused at the bottom so you wont be able to put it right down low. You might be able to get it 1.5" or so from the bottom, you can add any pick up tube you want to adjust kettle loss, maybe pick up right from the bottom for no chilling.

Have you cut the keg yet? May be a good idea to cut the bottom out. Cap the opening with a 2" tri-clover endcap in this you can have a drain valve. The valve can be installed as usual. it will give you more options if you decide to change your setup. The cutout can be used to make a false bottom.although I'm not sure what is cheaper the cutting discs or a premade domed false bottom.
IMG_20150322_082913.jpg

Edit the small one is a keg cutout the bigger one was made out of an old sink.

Cut my keg already, just got to put the weldless temp probe and tap on. This is what I have done so far.
IMG_20150317_192540.jpg

I am planning to use the elbow like in this pic.
elbow 1.png

So really I am just after the measurement from the bottom of the keg to get this to fit right

I dont know the dimensions of that fitting. You want to get it as low as possible the elbow can be turned to the side if need be.

On a keggle, I'd mount it as low as you can before the curve of the base starts. Just make sure your nut and washer has a flat surface to tighten up to or it'll never seal.
You can always use a female to female elbow for a pick up tube and use a short piece of threaded pipe or a nipple to reach the bottom.

Dae Tripper said:
Cut my keg already, just got to put the weldless temp probe and tap on. This is what I have done so far.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20150317_192540.jpg

I am planning to use the elbow like in this pic.
attachicon.gif
elbow 1.png

So really I am just after the measurement from the bottom of the keg to get this to fit right
Try a Compression fitting with length of bent ( curved) copper tube that you can shorten to the ideal length after experimenting with various positions

Well it is done now, haven't tested for leaks yet. Mark the center of the hole 13mm above the bottom weld.
Notes: Do not trust you LHBS that the 22mm hole saw is the right one. It is not so get the 20mm.
Use the 20mm one for the temp probe too.
IMG_20150322_153645.jpgIMG_20150322_153714.jpgIMG_20150322_153703.jpgIMG_20150322_153723.jpgIMG_20150322_153733.jpg

Latest posts

Back