Welding Steel Mitre Joins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sim

Reaction score
Guys, im building a brew frame soon, just doing up the design now.

Question is: will a noob welder encounter anymore trouble than usuall doing mitre joins? im getting the bits cut by the steel fabrication dudes where im buying it (asuming they can do 45 degree cuts easy), so theyll be straight/square etc.

If youre a welder and youve just knocked off for the week, id like to hear from you, just let it all out! :D

Cheers

il be using an Arc Welder

Guys, im building a brew frame soon, just doing up the design now.

Question is: will a noob welder encounter anymore trouble than usuall doing mitre joins? im getting the bits cut by the steel fabrication dudes where im buying it (asuming they can do 45 degree cuts easy), so theyll be straight/square etc.

If youre a welder and youve just knocked off for the week, id like to hear from you, just let it all out! :D

Cheers

il be using an Arc Welder

You won't have any problems as long as the material is cut square so there are minimal gaps. What material and size are you getting?

It might be worth grinding some weld preps into the edges to get good penetration. You might need to turn the heat down a bit on the outside edge.

hmmm true.

I'm thinking 50mm by 50mm Box Frame, 1.6mm thick, regular steel not galvinised.

Cheers

Yeah mate, Its not so much the cut on the steel as the rod you use and the amps you are pumpin into it, Get the right size rod for the guage you want to weld and dial in the amps and you are away... with 30 minutes to sapre one day I taught SWMBO how to do a half decent weld.. nothing sweet like but she could make 2 bits of metal fuse and stay that way :lol:

Trick - Tack weld the bits into place with just a little plug, get the bits assembled before you run the full welds, practice on the same guage metal and dial in the amps on your welder so you dont blow holes everywhere...

get it standing (in seperate pieces if need be) and then just go for it... if you screw it up a bit... out with the grinder and start again!!

I love welding shit together and making stuff from nothing.. (my hop trellis/kettle stand is evidence of that)

Yob

[edit] beaten again

hmmm true.

I'm thinking 50mm by 50mm Box Frame, 1.6mm thick, regular steel not galvinised.

Cheers

Yep, get mild steel. If you do get galv make sure you grind off ALL the galv in the weld area. Welding galv sux.

Thanks guys.

I will certainly be doin practice go's, get a feel for the right ampige an all! Any thoughts what size rod for 1.6mm?

Might pay to go 50x50x3 mild steel. The extra thickness makes it a little more forgiving to weld if you're not used to welding the thin stuff.

Might pay to go 50x50x3 mild steel. The extra thickness makes it a little more forgiving to weld if you're not used to welding the thin stuff.

This is good advice, 50x3 box is far easier to work with. Especially for someone new to stick welding.

Get yourself some quality 2.5 mm rods and do plenty of practice welds first.
Depending on your leads etc you might have to experiment with amperage.

cheers guys, 50x50x3 it is then.

Trick - Tack weld the bits into place with just a little plug,

plug - as in stick yea?

ps sorry to hear about your being robbed an shit. i got done some years back, fuckers took all bottled beer and VHS tapes!

plug - as in stick yea?

ps sorry to hear about your being robbed an shit. i got done some years back, fuckers took all bottled beer and VHS tapes!

Just a tack/plug weld is like half a second in a corner.. ya jus give it a dab, make sure ya stuff is square so that if it's not you can adjust it easily.. tack the check... then weld in place... the photo ive got here for you is ugly as FK but I was welding a thin hinge onto a Ford rim :lol: loads of fun that day.. did I say ever that I love having a shed and a welder?
1.JPG

and BTW I have got a FANCY nice alarm now fully installed (quite happy with it being motion sensor but animal friendly) and also on topic the welder is coming out again to build a 7ft Gate down the side of the house... sheet steel pop riveted on and only a few subtle bits of razor wier if you try to jump it!!! :ph34r:

Mate.. the brewing gear was safe so at the end of the day FK him... we is still brewin :icon_drunk:

Yob

[edit] photo

If the majority are all 90 deg get some of those 90 magnetic squares, brilliant!! Used them for making my work bench, made it too easy

Dan

If the majority are all 90 deg get some of those 90 magnetic squares, brilliant!! Used them for making my work bench, made it too easy

Dan

Agreed. Can get them from Bunnings quite cheap. I've got several, love 'em

Latest posts

Back