Welding 2 Stainless Vessels Together

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetsamHsam

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I am wanting to have 2 50L cylindrical stainless vessels welded together to make a 100L vessel :ph34r: and not being a very experienced welder myself, was wondering if anyone knows where I could get the job done?

Or if anyone in the Sydney area would be able to help me out on my quest in exchange for beer or services :icon_cheers:

Cheers

The type of welding, and who can do it, depends on what you plan on doing with the 100L vessel?
Does it need to be a pressure weld? sanitary? or just structural?

Off'y

It will need to be sanitary, i'm planning on using it as a boiler.

It'll depend a lot on how thick the walls of the vessels are, what particular stainless alloy they're made of, etc.

Assuming they're fairly thin (less than 3mm), then it'll probably have to be tig-welded. Thicker you'll probably get away with mig. And many stainless alloys are quite difficult to weld without causing corrosion-cracking problems, unless the weld procedure is spot on. You'll find it easier to get a quote if you can give them as much information as possible on the thickness of the material, and the alloy. But in any case, the boilermaker will be able to tell you more.

I'd do a yellowpages search for steel fabrication shops in your area that do tig and specifically mention that they do stainless work, and do a ring around. I could recommend a few shops in brisbane to try, but that obviously doesnt help you in sydney.

if they are 50l kegs you can mig them no prob

Yep they are 50L kegs.. So mig welding is the go. Thanks for this guys.

mig welding is not real sanitary , id be more looking at purged tig welding for this type of job , yeah a mig will stick the together , however the result may not be as clean as you would like on the inside of the boiler .. outside will look great but its the inside that your beer is in contact with and thats what needs to be spot on

you want to tig weld it. been covered before. you also want to fill the inside of the 2 vessels with gas and aluminium tape to help stop excessive penatration from TIG.

nfi where cloyton is. any boiler maker or welder worth their salt can do this for you easily. here's a couple pics of a keggle which is made the same way in which you are asking about.

Back