Weizen Aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadhead

Reaction score
Hi guys, currently in the process of fermenting my first all grain Weizen. The gravity is sitting around 1.020 after a couple of days, and when I pulled a sample, the beer had none of the typical estery/phenolic aromas going on, kinda has a smell like bread dough with a metallic edge to it. Typically, what stage of fermentation would the yeast start to produce the normal wheat beer aromas?

The beer is all Weyermann grain (55% wheat, 40% Pale Pils and 5% Munich) fermented with Danstar Munich dried wheat yeast.
Yeast was pitched around 12 deg and is fermenting around 20.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

You may not get the banana/clove flavour using the danstar yeast. You really can't beat wyeast 3638 for a true weizen

I was very disappointed with the Danstar.

WB-06 delivered a better result, closer to a typical wheat, banana was still quite restrained, but plenty of phelonics/esters.

Never know, it may improve with age... probably unlikely :)

Give it a couple of weeks after finishing to reach its best. I think Weizens are best without the Munich malt though, for me it's Pils/Wheat only.

:icon_offtopic: What about vienna in a weizen

QldKev

once you use the 3056 or 3068 you'll find the aromas your looking for. I could not find it with a dry yeast the three times I tried..

once you use the 3056 or 3068 you'll find the aromas your looking for. I could not find it with a dry yeast the three times I tried..

3068 was the one I meant, not 3638. Sorry for the confusion

:icon_offtopic: What about vienna in a weizen

QldKev

Why not? Would work, if you can use Munich in a weizen why not Vienna? Vienna's just a slightly lighter version so it would be sweet as I reckon!

But weizens are yucky anyway :p

Back