Weird Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a problem. I have a batch of AG Oktoberfest/Marzen in the NC cube ready to ferment. I love the NC cube for the fact of making it one day, then fermenting when the yeast is ready, not trying to get the two in sync. Anyhow, that's not the problem...

I bought a new wyeast 2124 Bavarian Lager for this batch. I bought it from Ross a fair while ago (few months). It's been sitting in my fridge since.
I smacked it and it didnt really blow up like every other pack I had bought. The best by date still had 1 month to go. I let it swell (as much as it did) for 3 days.
I always make a starter anyway, so in it went after 4 days 'swelling' to my 1.050 SG 1-litre starter from my Oktoberfest AG.
It didnt take off for another 2 days.
Now its bubbling away, but there is no krausen at all after 2 days bubbling.
I have swirled it, shaken it, swirled again, but no krausen?
Doesnt smell too bad - havent tasted it, but I dont think I should pitch this starter.
Anyone had similar 'no krausen' in their starter?
If so, advice?
I have some dried S-23 and I think some w34/70 also.
Cheers, mckenry

I'd taste it first, its probably fine.

You mentioned a 1L starter, was it an "activator" or "propagator" pack?

Some lager starters act like this, they dont always show evidence of high activity.

Definitrly taste it though!

Cheers,
BB

It should be fine. I don't tend to get much krausen with my starters, especially the lagers.

Give it a taste just to be sure. But I think you'll find it will be all good.

Would be inclined to make a larger starter than 1L for a lager though.

Kenlock

PS. What Boilerboy said!

I'd taste it first, its probably fine.

You mentioned a 1L starter, was it an "activator" or "propagator" pack?

Some lager starters act like this, they dont always show evidence of high activity.

Definitrly taste it though!

Cheers,
BB

Activator. I'll give it a taste test then. Havent used this strain before, so wasnt expecting such low activity. Mind you, its bubbling quite quickly now.

Edit: tastes OK, so on with the show... Building up the starter to 2L now.

Activator. I'll give it a taste test then. Havent used this strain before, so wasnt expecting such low activity. Mind you, its bubbling quite quickly now.

Im sure it will be fine.

BB

Back