Weird Looking Yeast - Wyeast 2206

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. **** yeah!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I had planned to re-pitch yeast from a vienna lager into a Mai-Bock I have in NC at the moment, but because I chill using a plate chiller (usually) there is a fair bit of yurk in my yeast cake and I wanted to give it a bt of a wash before re-pitching. But.......

I cant work out which bit is yeast ???

Looking inthe fermentor, I thought the whitish layer right at the bottom was yeast and the flaky looking stuff above it was break material, but when I decant the stuff into a clear 4L demijohn...the white stuff is really obviously break material. And its hit the bottom of the bottle first too.

The trouble is - the rest of the stuff looks a fair bit like break material as well !! There is no creamy yeasty looking stuff at all, none. I would just assume that something was terribly wrong and dump the lot, but the thing is - I have seen yeast that looks like this before. In some of the commercial belgians I have bought (Piratt, 3 monts are two that I remember) and even coopers sparkling to an extent - where the yeast is more like flakes than like cream or powder.

This is freaking me out. At the moment I am assuming that the stuff that stays in suspension the longest is yeast. And as such I have washed the sample to the point where I now have almost exclusively "yeast" and nothing else. But it still looks kinda weird.

Anyone else with more experience than me at re-pitching that has seen something like this before?? The beer that came out of the fermentor was lovely and malty and didn't seem to have any infection or anything. Perhaps a little less attenuation than I was aiming for, but thats it.

I'd like to use this stuff if its OK - I only have a 10ml sample of the 2206 in storage and really would prefer to not waste a week growing that up to the 6+L starter I would need for this beer.

Re-assure me or shoot me down... just end my confusion please

Thirsty

Edit - I took a picture. Sorry its a pretty big file, but I wanted to make sure you could see details. This is about 20-30mins of settling time after the last wash. As you can see, its pretty clear beer at the top, a large amount of "yeast" and just a hint of other yurk at the bottom. But the yeast is weird and flaky/grainy looking. Not the nice gooey white cream I was hoping for.

Normal or just plain wrong?

IMG_1881.JPG

I really don't think you should worry about it, TB, but I haven't used that yeast so I can't say for sure. As you say, different yeasts can look radically different (just think of the Fuller's yeast for one). If the beer you took it off tasted/smelled ok, personally I wouldn't be concerned.

..TB...2206 is a superb lager yeast particularly for munich dunkels,schwarzbiers & viennas etc...the first gen is always a bit slow but you should find the next couple a little faster...i ferment mine at a genuine 8c and at that temp ,with care patience and a good grist you should get sensational results...definately worth brewing several beers with it ie , vienna then munich dunkel then schwarzbier...if you keep 'em happy these yeasts will give you crisply malty smooth beers...cant rate it high enough for dark lagers....dunno about the flakes tho'....

Thanks Guys,

After all the washing, I ended up with about 3.5L in a growler - now its settled down to about 1ish Litre of homogeneous stuff at the bottom and the rest is clear as a bell liquid.

Gonna call the "stuff" yeast and pitch it to a Maibock AND an Aussie lager today. Fingers crossed its yeast and I haven't simply washed my sample to the point where I have virtually pure trub

Hargie, I think I agree about the qualities of the yeast though - the Vienna I took teh cake from... wow, probably the maltiest beer I have ever made. Almost too much as I was going for a hoppier version (Sam Adams BL clone) still . it blew me away how nice the fermentor sample tasted. It was as you say a bit slow, and underattenuated a bit, hopefully the second gen will work a little harder but still give the same sort of flavours. If so, this stuff is going to become my house lager yeast I think. Lovely.

Cheers

Thirsty

Latest posts

Back