Weird Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
ok so my first 2 belgians i used abbeyII yeast and made a belgian dark cant remember exactly but around 200g cara aroma 200g caramunich 200g something else 200g something else and pilsner grains and candi sugar to around 9% alcohol
was the first time ive used grains and was expecting a caramelly flavour but instead came out with this weird flavour which i dont like

i then made a belgian blonde 3 kg malt 800g sugar 200g crystal malt and came out with a less intense flavour but it was still there

is this normal for belgians its hard to explain the flavour as im not sure if my yeast was infected or thats from the grains

iv made old ales and so on and they taste caramelly/malty so is this the abbyII flavour or the crystal in my belgians

thanks any help would be great as i now have around 5 slabs of beers i dont like and dont intend on making more

but i do love commercial belgian beer like duvel, unibroue, chimay and all them and wanna make beers like them

If you can't explain the flavour at all (other than "weird"), it's almost impossible for anyone of us to tell you what it is...

If you can't explain the flavour at all (other than "weird"), it's almost impossible for anyone of us to tell you what it is...

fair enough but im still not sure how to describe it

but i'll ask this do crystal malts give a carmally/sweet flavour to belgian ales when using abbyII or a differant flavour?

I think the issue you have is yeast related. You have tried two inherently different grain bills and came up with the same result. It could be:

- The yeast
- The ferment temp
- A lingering infection
- Mash Temp or duration

Too much crystal gives a weird flavour, you don't need much. That could be it too.... sorry, can't make too much sense, you need to describe the flavour.

Cheers - Mike

Latest posts

Back