Weinstephan Hefeweisen Yeasties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbeer

Reaction score
Hi.

Thought I'd save myself a couple of $$ on a wyeast pack and culture up some yeast from a Weinstephan Dunkel Hefeweisen. (plus I wanted to drink some :p )

Doed anyone know if they pasturise this stuff in the bottle?

the yeast I have collected and tried to culture so far does not look at all healthy. :(

Danbeer.

I could be wrong but I think they filter and re-seed with a better settling lager yeast.

So you may yet be investing in that Wyeast pack. :)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Danbeer.

I could be wrong but I think they filter and re-seed with a better settling lager yeast.

So you may yet be investing in that Wyeast pack. :)

Warren -
[post="121645"][/post]​

Wise words(and correct).
Schnieder wheats are the only ones with the original primary strain.

Wise words(and correct).
Schnieder wheats are the only ones with the original primary strain.
[post="121662"][/post]​
[/quote]

Well. guess what I'll be drinking this weekend. :chug: :lol:

DanBeer,

May I assume that ur not in Sydney, as Wyeast is not so common there?

If U let us know where you reside, there may just be a kind soul who is local to you, and willing to share a Weizen yeast.

If ur in Newcastle, I may be that man. I could even supply a bottle of my beer for U to practice your yeast culturing upon.
U know what they say: "Give a brewer a yeast and he'll make a batch of beer, but teach that brewer to culture yeast and he'll brew evermore". Apologies for the gender-specificity, but U know what I mean.

Either way, don't let me talk U out of drinking some Weizen this weekend! :beer:
I will be! :beerbang:

Seth out :p

Weizguy said:
DanBeer,

May I assume that ur not in Sydney, as Wyeast is not so common there?

If U let us know where you reside, there may just be a kind soul who is local to you, and willing to share a Weizen yeast.

If ur in Newcastle, I may be that man. I could even supply a bottle of my beer for U to practice your yeast culturing upon.
U know what they say: "Give a brewer a yeast and he'll make a batch of beer, but teach that brewer to culture yeast and he'll brew evermore". Apologies for the gender-specificity, but U know what I mean.

Either way, don't let me talk U out of drinking some Weizen this weekend! :beer:
I will be!

Seth out
[post="121709"][/post]​

Am in Melbourne. It's not that I _can't_ get liquid yeast, more that I'm too lazy to drive the hour across town to get to G&G. :p

Well, that and I think it's a little bit more rewarding to build up a culture from a sample. I have done so with coopers yeast before, but I want something a little more exotic (and appropriate) for my Dunkel Hefewiesen that I plan on making...

Mmmmm.... hefewiesen..... :D

Anyone know how I can write off another trip to Munich against tax?
Surely there has to be some sort of trade show I need to visit.... ;)

(Incidently, Drinktek was awsome - Lots of freebies, and lots of beer bling. Go if you ever get the chance)

danbeer said:
Well. guess what I'll be drinking this weekend. :chug: :lol:
[post="121706"][/post]​

Recultured yeast from Schneider weisse makes a very good beer in my experience. Just be patient and give it time and care.

I agree with Warren. I recently read in a book on beers of the world that Weinstephan filters out the original yeast from their Hefeweisen and replaces it with lager yeast.

Just remembered I had found the following link that you may find useful.

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

In regards to Hefeweizen yeast it states

"Bavarian Hefe-Weizens normally don't have the primary strain, and may well be pasteurized. Schneider Weisse seems to be an exception. Perhaps Schfferhofer as well. Others? "

The site has information on a number of Hefewezens

e.g

"Franziskaner
Hefe-Weissbier
{1} Live yeast. {1} Probably bottling strain.

Paulaner
Hefe-Weizen
{1} Live yeast, strain? {1} Good banana like fruiteness in the starter.

Schneider
Weisse
Said to be the primary strain. Possible but tricky to get going?

Schfferhofer
Hefe Weizen
{1} Live yeast. Estery and phenolic, primary strain? {1} Powerfull estery yeast (phenolic and diacetyl), good and floculent fermenter.

Weihenstephan
Hefe-Weizen
{1} Probably bottling strain, if at all alive. "

The {1} refers to a single report

Hope this is helpful

maisels also works. but i havent seen that around for a while. JS colonial wheat was a good source of WLP300 while it was around.

schfferhofer i have tried culturing but it came out very strange tasting.
but then i don't like schfferhofer anyway.

ive made a number of hefes with cultured yeast over the years and none of them were nearly as good as the whitelabs or wyeast for whatever reason.

neonmeate said:
ive made a number of hefes with cultured yeast over the years and none of them were nearly as good as the whitelabs or wyeast for whatever reason.
[post="121812"][/post]​

Couldn't agree more.
The wyeast 3333 that i use now is by far and away the best thing to come in to my wheaty realm. :chug:

Where in Melbourne are you? Johnno was nice enough to give me a little 3333 last weekend.

NRB said:
Where in Melbourne are you? Johnno was nice enough to give me a little 3333 last weekend.
[post="121951"][/post]​

Burwood mostly...

I could give you some 3333 if you're interested, otherwise, step up a Schneiderweisse.

Take the 3333,you won't regret it.
Aside from the authenticity factor its a much nicer wheat strain any ways...(personal bias).and its free from a fellow brewer who is sharing a freeby :excl: :party:

long live AHB :chug:

Latest posts

Back