Weihenstephan visit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd

Reaction score
Well today I'm heading out to tour Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan which is about an hour (including a train and walk to the brewery) from Munich. I was lucky enough to meet a few of the guys from there at Melbourne Good beer week, so I have managed to organise a 1 on 1 tour and a few beers. Very generous of Marcus to take time out for an Aussie tourist. So I've dumped the family for the day.
Cheers Mudd.

The main brewery offices. Best photos on the SLR I'll upload tonight depending if I'm still upright. Internet a bit transient around here so not sure these posts getting through. Awesome place with a lot of history.

1418045938975.jpg

My previous post obviously didn't make it through the ibterwebs. Had a fantastic tour hosted by Marcus Inglett who is the international sales mgr. As I could never repay Marcus for his hospitality please got out and and buy a Weihenstephan beer on my behalf. By the way if your ever visiting the walk from the train station is about 30 Min and is fantastic.

You lucky lucky *******. :lol:

Spent an afternoon at their beerhall/reasturant there last year just before Driktec. Was fantastic!
My only regret from the day was hot having bought myself a beer-boot.

ok so my last night in Munich I found a local craft beer bottleshop (Beervana in Schwabing) and enjoyed a local Schwarzbier, a german IPA, and a Belgian Geuze only cos it was so cheap. total of EUR 8.03.

And some pictures of the Weihenstephan visit.
As I walked to the brewery this was the first view with the university buildings in the foreground and the brewhouse stack behind. Looking in the window I could see groups of students studying some with a beer in hand at 10am (only in Bavaria).

The inner sanctum (entry to the caves of Moria) As Wiehenstephan is built within a university there is no room to expand outwards so much of the brewery is built into the mountain.
View attachment 76993

The university has it's own Maypole and it is erected every year (rather than the customary 2 years). The university is also a very large agricultural and food science university.DSCN0560.JPG
The close up of the pictures on the Maypole didn't come out that well. I'm not the best photographer anyhow.

DSCN0561.JPG

These horizontal tanks are used for primary fermentation of Hefe beers. The yeast holds up better by not having to travel the full height of a vertical tank. I joked with Marcus us homebrewers don't have these problems.
DSCN0563.JPG

Propagation tanks Weihenstephan really uses only 3 yeasts (they also produce Kirin for all of Europe as well, which I think would be an additional yeast).
DSCN0564.JPG

A nice foamy pot of something - presumably not going back into anything -think it was some form of sample - must be about 300L.DSCN0568.JPG

Anyway last post of the evening - I'll try and get some others up soon.

Mudd

mudd said:
The inner sanctum (entry to the caves of Moria) As Wiehenstephan is built within a university there is no room to expand outwards so much of the brewery is built into the mountain.
attachicon.gif
DSCN0592.JPG
Speak friend, and enter

:lol:

Thanks for the pics, very interesting.
I'm guessing that pot is harvested yeast. The yeast propogation tanks are interesting too, I've always wondered how this was handled. How I would LOVE to have stacks of fresh yeast at my disposal. No more Mr Malty required.

On the tour of Neuschwanstein Castle our guide pointed out the village Maypole, and told us that if you nick it the ransom is paid in beer.
You missed a golden opportunity,ha ha.
Still jealous though.
Cheers....spog....

spog said:
On the tour of Neuschwanstein Castle our guide pointed out the village Maypole, and told us that if you nick it the ransom is paid in beer.
You missed a golden opportunity,ha ha.
Still jealous though.
Cheers....spog....
If you get away with it yes.
Apparently they have to throw you a party. I agree a missed opportunity.

Latest posts

Back