Wedding Beer & Boutonnire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wimmig

Reaction score
I'm getting married later this year, and i have a few specific things i've been given the OK to. I would LOVE any feedback possible, and any ideas you might in relation to this.

Firstly, i would love to have a specific wedding beer for the reception. The venue has given the OK to supplied kegs, which i am thinking of. I am also thinking instead of kegs, a direct printed bottle which could be a vintage-ale-of-sorts is a possible idea as well. Something which would be good to drink, from say, the one year anniversary. If kegs, then a brown, blonde and (?) wheat. If bottles, then something like an ale with age capability and a crown seal / wax seal. I would like to outsource this to somebody like u-brew-it though am >very< open minded. For kegs, they venue only needs to know the coupling needs. Bottles, NA.

In terms of the Boutonnire, i have made the decision that a combination of Surt's desert pea (Swainsona formosa) & a fresh green hop cone are the go. This would be on October the 27th, and i am clueless about the ability of this to occur with fresh cones. I am not worried about the variety of the hop, it is a visual thing after all.

Can anybody help out / provide any information which would be of use? Any help is appreciated.

My advice is to not get married, stay single and live the dream :D

My advice is to not get married, stay single and live the dream :D

If i lived in the ACT and had the wig & pen as my local.....

Though, with the other half helping with the mash and acid rinse / prep needs i am as happy as can be :)

If i lived in the ACT and had the wig & pen as my local.....

Though, with the other half helping with the mash and acid rinse / prep needs i am as happy as can be :)

Sounds like a keeper!

I think you could do better than you brew it, wonder what's the minimum order at the contract brewers.

I think a barley wine would be the best sort beer to give guests as they would probably relate to it more than say a RIS, big Belgian beer or IIPA. I would prefer a RIS myself!

Snap by the way..... I'm getting married on the same day.

Would the Sturt desert pea last the day as a Boutonnire whatsamathingy? I would have thought that it would be fairly fragile after picking. I've never seen them at florists nor in the wild, so am unsure? It's just the nature of the flower and others similar that I know of.

My one and only suggestion is to know what your guests drink.
If the general consensus drinks VB, a vintage ale will simply be wasted on them.

I knew for a fact that my crowd love lots if different, new and interesting beers.
I have 110 guests attending my wedding next thursday and I have the following being served from Cornies.
I can pretty much ensure the lot will be consumed and I'll have to deal with the pig's swill.

Galaxy Aussie Pale Ale
Amarillo Ale
American Brown
Citra Summer Ale
Hefe Wheat
Ginger Beer
Blood Orange Ginger Beer

plus spirits, wine and softies and 3 cases of insipid water.

I got married last year, and one of my rules was to have great beer.

With the amount of stuff that goes on in organising a wedding, brewing enough beer to supply an entire wedding party is just a headache.

I organised to buy a couple of commercial kegs from the Hunter Beer Co, I collected the kegs and had the venue dispense it. You can be assured of a high quality product, and I even got to keep the leftovers for myself.

It might be worth your while ringing your favourite micro and see what they can do for you.

I suggest to have a sensible variety of offerings. I picked a Kolsch and a Pale Ale. The easier drinking Kolsch was poured more than 3/4 of the time.

If supplying some homebrew is something you have your heart set on, then maybe organise something to be poured for a toast. A Berliner Weisse to match the traditional champaign toast maybe. Or a barley wine to sip on after dinner. Maybe if you have your bucks party early enough, you could start the day with a brewday and present the finished bottles as gifts to the blokes to take home after the wedding.

Heaps of options.
Good Luck!

Maybe if you have your bucks party early enough, you could start the day with a brewday and present the finished bottles as gifts to the blokes to take home after the wedding.

Not that it's my wedding, but i reckon that's a cracker of an idea!

Back