Weavles In My Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall reading somewhere that pound for pound (or maybe that should be gram for gram) the earwig is one of the strongest of all animals.
Apparently if a man was as strong as an earwig he could pick up a house!
Probably only a 3 bedroom brick veneer - not your MacMansion size house though.

I wonder how they measure that? :huh:

aah Pumpy...

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall reading somewhere that pound for pound (or maybe that should be gram for gram) the earwig is one of the strongest of all animals.

Funny you say that Rob, i was watching a doco on Pay TV the other day, and some kind of ant ( cant remember the type ) was named as the strongest animal on Earth, weight for weight.

Although those little earwig buggas are strong, one attached itself to my dogs lip once ( not ear :D ), and we had hells own job getting it off !!

They put them in the bottom of a jar and slowly apply weight, seeing how much weight they can put on there before the buggers are crushed. And you thought the kids who pulled wings off'f flies were into torture.
They then multiply the weight by the ratio of an average human's bodyweight to the average earwig's. They don't need to do the weight torture thing to figure out how much the humans can lift, because funnily enough, we do it to ourselves in gyms.

<insert witty weevil pun here>

-LC

Just crushed some Marris otter only to discover its full of weevils :-( Probably now infested the ~ 6kg bag of vienna I had in the same storage bin.

Little buggers.

edit: Oh, and I've doughed in with it :eek:

Just crushed some Marris otter only to discover its full of weevils :-( Probably now infested the ~ 6kg bag of vienna I had in the same storage bin.

Little buggers.

edit: Oh, and I've doughed in with it :eek:

Just give it a protein rest, it'll be fine.

Same thing. Went to my grain stash today to find a 21kg bag of marris otter with weavles in it :(
Looks like the bag is going in the freezer

I'm actually starting to wonder whether it was something to do with the M.O. I heard that a WA retailer had issues with some bags of UK malt that was bought in - weevils through them.

I've never had this issue with any of my other malts (Weyermann, B.B., Kirin). They were all stored in the same area too.

well, yesterday I crushed some grains for an alt I put down today and found a few weavils in some dark munich that I've had for ages. Only spotted six or so in 1.5kg so it didn't concern me too much.

Anyway, my first runnings were a bit slower than normal but thought little of it till two halves of a cockroach dropped into the jug I use to recirculate.

Other than that the brew day went OK

clay

PS I asume they were weavils...red/brown colour, bit like a bit flea?

:huh: :icon_vomit:

They put them in the bottom of a jar and slowly apply weight, seeing how much weight they can put on there before the buggers are crushed. And you thought the kids who pulled wings off'f flies were into torture.
They then multiply the weight by the ratio of an average human's bodyweight to the average earwig's. They don't need to do the weight torture thing to figure out how much the humans can lift, because funnily enough, we do it to ourselves in gyms.

<insert witty weevil pun here>

-LC

that explains those giant jars I saw in the gym that time...

These little beasties will almost certainly be a grain beetle of some species. It is unlikely to be a weevil. Some info on grain beetles:

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/S...ain_beetles.htm

They can and do infest any grain and seem to love malted garins. We have seen a totally infested sack of Carahell malt reduced to hollow shells with just the one small hole bored in the husk. You cant do much other than freeze, or fumigate with CO2 but you are unlikely to kill everything. Just use up the malt quickly...

Wes

Latest posts

Back