Weavles In My Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats an earwig :huh:

;)

Warren -

earwig_adultmale.jpg

Thats looks nasty. Speaking of things in our brews, my last brew I did was a English Bitter and during the boil I was eating one of the kids ice-creams and while I was peering into the boil the top of the ice-cream fell off into the boil. I guess it's a English Cream Bitter now. Very nice though!

Go buy a bag of bay leaves, then scatter them around in the cupboards / boxes etc that you keep your grains etc. My wife reckons she read about it in New Idea "Handy Hints", and it works a treat for keeping the buggers out of the kitchen pantry.

I'd expect that if you mixed them in with the grains they'd impart some flavour, but should be fine outside of the packaging...

Cheers,
Tim

Steve it's an omen.

Once had an earwig floating in a Hefeweizen mash. Turned out to be the best wheat I've ever made. :D

Warren -

Yesterday, i was starting the (manual) recirculation from my mash tun and the liquid spluttered until a wasp flew out of the hosetail, i'd only cleaned it out 2 hours before!

Massive lad, probably has the same adventurous spirit as the wasp that blocked up my BBQ side burner with his nests.

OT. Who'd be a judge? " This ale seems to have more body than I would have expected".
A Kit&kilo mate showed me a bottle of his Blue Mountain Lager complete with a very large cockroach in the bottom of the bottle. :eek:
I wasn't so keen on trying his beers after that.

OT. Who'd be a judge? " This ale seems to have more body than I would have expected".
A Kit&kilo mate showed me a bottle of his Blue Mountain Lager complete with a very large cockroach in the bottom of the bottle. :eek:

I'd go for the earwig over the cockroach - it's the lesser of the two weevils :huh:

(Apologies to R Crowe and the English language)

Beat me to it Teasy..

"Two Weevils grew up in Idaho, one went on to become a big hot shot in Hollywood, the other stayed at home and did nothing. Naturally he was known as the lesser of two weevils".

Not as funny when you come second... :D

knock knock....who there....Weevil.....Weevil who.....Weevil make this CAP with the flaked rice!

Steve

Up here in Bundy I have learnt to ALWAYS piss off a bit of the beer into a bucket before racking into the keg or bulk priming vessel. This gets rid of the vinegar flies and cockroaches which quite often get into my taps, and yes, even when they are fermenting in the fridge they somehow manage to get in...

Always best when listening to ELO's "You Weevil Woman". B)

Warren -

Weevils in your mash are better than having a hornet in your glass. :blink:

I was nearing the end of the boil outdoors, and was busy running in & out to get the sanitizer, CFC, carboys, yeast, etc. I had a glass of beer on the go outside. My mother was visiting and was sitting outside. She was sitting next to my beer and talking to her sister on the phone. While I'm in the house she sees the hornet land on my glass and proceed to fall into it. Because she's talking on the phone, she can't actually get up to pour him out.....because apparently she can't do two things at once.

So I come out of the house, put down whatever I had carried out, and quickly take a swig of my beer. Luckily the hornet stung my tongue before I could swallow it, as I don't think getting my esophagus and stomach stung would have tickled. At this point I spit it out and then proceeded to river dance all over the little sonofabitch. After the hornet had been turned into paste, my mom, who was still talking with her sister, says "Hold on Doris, hold on. Yeah, hold on...... Mark! There's a hornet in your glass!" :blink:

WTF?!??! Apparently saving her son from near certain death (I'm allergic to hornet & wasp stings you see) is impossible if she's on the phone. Luckily the sting wasn't a bad one. An allergy pill and I was okay, except for the numb tongue. And I take every possible opportunity to pester my mother about it. And I will continue to do so until one of us dies. :angry:

Hi Guys,

If moths are present it is not usually a weevil but a meal moth. They have a larvae that lives on the surface of the grain and has a very fine cocoon like webbing that tends to bind some of the grains together into a lump.
In the brewing situation I would not spray malted grain with any insecticide but the advice with microwaving chilling or CO2 in the above posts is good.

Here is a link for some identification info

http://www.hannafords.com/disease.php?id=26

BTW I just use the grain if I get the moths with no affect on my finished product.

Cheers

Always best when listening to ELO's "You Weevil Woman". B)

Warren -

I had a pet weevil ,ex flea circus, he was trained to ride a stunt motorcycle ,called him 'Weevil Kinevil'

pumpy :ph34r:

Thanks for that dicko, that's the perfect description of the critters which live in my chook food bin.

Thats the wierdest coincidence!
I managed to come across an earwig in a box of grapes at work today. Mentioned to one of the fellas there how they only rarely crop up in boxes of produce, and then this. Scary looking little things they are!

they arnt getting any better pumpy!

Latest posts

Back