Way Too Much Yeast!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inge

Reaction score
Just put a weizen down using a 400mL starter of 3068. Pitched at 15 and fermenting at 18-19 degrees.

Blowout within two days, I've never had that happen before! The entire fermenter is packed with yeast and I've had to fashion a blowoff tube to contain the mess. This doesn't concern me - what does is the fact that there is a very slight sulfur smell coming off of the hydro readings, smells very faintly of old starter i.e. autolysis. The beer tastes fine, it's only down to 1036, but I don't want this smell carrying through. Should I rack it as soon as possible or will it dissipate?

for a weizen it sounds kinda normal. Homebrewers call it a grain to brain in 8 days for a very good reason.

Eight days? That's just slack on a hefe.

assuming you've got a 23ishL batch a 400mL starter is not going to be too much, 3068 is just notorious for getting a little over-excited. That slight sulphur stink isn't autolysis but it is a sign the yeast is slightly stressed. At the rate your yeast is working though I'll bet it's cleaned up that stench by tomorrow morning.

Excellent, thanks for that guys. I wasn't too worried. Over excited is right, bloody hell!

I've read that slightly stressing this yeast will encourage ester production, no? So all in all it's not a bad thing.

Excellent, thanks for that guys. I wasn't too worried. Over excited is right, bloody hell!

I've read that slightly stressing this yeast will encourage ester production, no? So all in all it's not a bad thing.

3068 does like a bit of a beating,rule of 30 works nice.

Pitch at 12c ferment at 18c.

pitch at 15c ferment at 15c

Inge, the same happens all the time with my Weizen and it smells awful, he whole house smells after it. After two days the spook is over and the beer gets into kegs.

From third day on, the beer tastes already great, has still way too much yeast floating, but already drinkable and no spoors of awful smell anymore.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Inge, the same happens all the time with my Weizen and it smells awful, he whole house smells after it. After two days the spook is over and the beer gets into kegs.

From third day on, the beer tastes already great, has still way too much yeast floating, but already drinkable and no spoors of awful smell anymore.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Luckily the smell seems to be entirely contained within my brewspace :icon_cheers:

Back