Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeergloriousbeer

Reaction score
I was wondering what people's opinions on water were.
What water do people use in their wort.
My brother uses R.O water in his brew but i don't know if it changes the brew.
I have been using tap water but wonder what the rate of contamination by bacteria would be.
What is the best choice for water in a HB wort.
Cheers B)

What is the best choice for water in a HB wort.

Weeellll it depends :p

For kits you could get away with RO water and as for contaminants in water you should be boiling it to sanitise before use anyway. With that said it would be nice to have some magnesium in the water as it is a yeast nutrient.

Water for mashing is another thing all together and minerals are very important, so if you were to use RO water it must be re-built with salts before brewing. There is a lot of info around on this and a great place to start is chap 15 of How To Brew.

Straight out of the tap!! . If youre worried about use spring water but that adds to the cost

Hello dere,

I use tap water de-canted to a spare carboy and left for a day or so for the chlorine
to evaporate. Plus a pinch of mag. sulphate for good measure. B)

cheers
Dave

i use tap water,but 3 years ago i went to the sa water office asking for a water report so i could use this to as a reference for future brewing.(adding whatever to make a clone as possible to the real deal )
but talk about the third degree,anyone would have thought i was asking to borrow the crown jewels. ...cheers..spog..

Back