Water To Grist Ratios For The Mash.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I alays thought that L/G ratios were determined by the minimum rather than the maximum amount of water and the size of your tun.
That is, If you have a 5:1 L/G ratio you would need a huge tun and more $ to make it.

Too thick and it balls up and is a ******* to stir.

cheers
Darren

Thanks for all the replies.

The next Pilsner I attack I'm going to go for a w/g ratio of 2.8:1 and see if there is any difference with my present brew.
I won't change anything else and see if the beer is a little thinner or possibly a tad dryer!

Warren, IIRC! If I Read Correctly, is that right?
I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Wow
Looks like I am an anomoly :eek: . I use a 44L mashtun, always pre-heat it with hot tap water until the mash water is nearly ready. I never mash over 2.1L/kg grain (although my batch last weekend I used 2.3L to see the diff, none yet :p ). I usually add my mash water at 6C above the temp I am aiming for, and, like Gough, I vary my mash temp according to the beer I am making. I think that making a thinner mash leads to a more attenuative beer, wheras a thick mash (like mine) leads to a fuller bodied beer (I think :huh: ), and definitely higher FG's. Going back through my notes, there arent too many beers in the last 6 months that have finished below 1014. I am quite happy with my ratio's, I dont have any brew software, so I do all my calcs by hand, as per John Palmer's numbers, and they work out pretty well. Maybe I should try a 3:1 mash one day, but on the same hand, I would also recommend you try a 2.1:1 mash, on your most commonly brewed beer, just to see the difference. Should be interesting to experiment with....
All the best
Trent

Hey trent.

I have spoken to a couple of brewers that also mash at 2:1 and the literature i have been reading suports it.

I am going to make a dunkelwiezen next weekend with 60% wheat and a heap of Weyermann minich 1 .

Was going to do a decoction mash and might mash at 2 - 2.5:1 with a couple of liters of rice hulls.

cheers

Hm, that's thrown a spanner in the works for present time.
Waiting for more!

Regards,
Lindsay.

Typically 3.2 l/kg for me simply because if I don't have that volume in the mash I won't have enough volume in the HLT for sparging to collect 47 litres.
When doing a 23 litre brew length I go for 2.8 l/kg.

Beers,
Doc

Hey Tony
That makes me feel a bit better :D . Good luck with the dunkelweizen, I was thinking about doing a single decoction myself when the weather gets a bit cooler, just to see how it goes, and how to do it. How many decoctions are you doing? Keep us up to date with how it goes, be interesting to see if it makes a big difference.
All the best
Trent

Back