Water to grain ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the amount the grain is exposed to, only just read that recently, probably Gordon Strong as I have been reading his book most nights.

That seems counter-intuitive to me, although there is a lesser amount of liquor in the malt pipe, the entire volume is exposed to the grain and would dilute the concentration of enzymes etc. accordingly.

I'm not sure what my effective mash thickness would be, maybe 1.5l/kg, surely there would be some consequence to that, but I get 75-80% brew house efficiency and sufficiently fermentable wort....

That's cos your climate sux!
Here its the middle of winter and we are having a warm patch air temps over 25oC, even when its cold it isn't freezing in most places like it is in some countries. Naturally if you were mashing in in the snow there might some advantage to warming your grist, especially if the result of the strike water calculation called for strike water hotter than 80oC.
There are plenty of more modern books than the Hind book, in metric to, which makes life a lot easier.
Mark

Got me interested now
Would online library be a good place to find something about this Mark
cheers Rude

I would have a look at the Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations, you can order it from the MBAA store, or ask Steve at Brewman if he has any left, he gets them in from time to time and sells them at cost.
For the money its about the best basic introduction to what is really happening in most stages of the brewing process.
Mark

Latest posts

Back