Water In Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokodan

Reaction score
Hi All

Done a couple of brews now but just put down a coopers IPA last weekend , i have the airlock bubling away nicely which hasn't happened with my previous brews , my question is , the water in the airlock seems be getting fairly low , should i add a little to "top it up" back to the level marks on the airlock .

Thanks

Dan

Just a little to keep the air from going past the water without bubbling. Use water from the kettle.

Or cheap and cheerful Vodka, that way it's sure to be sterile and any nasty's that get into it.
I generally just use boiled water for the beers, but for yeast Vodka is the standard.

LOL vodka nice

im actually going to try an experiment next brew by putting 300 or so mls of a neutral spirit to life the strength of my beer :D

LOL vodka nice

im actually going to try an experiment next brew by putting 300 or so mls of a neutral spirit to life the strength of my beer :D
make sure you do a rough calculation of what the expected outcome %alc will be. cause if its too high you'll kill your yeast. really high alc% need differant yeasts like champaigne or cider yeasts. but I dont think you have to worry until your at about 10%.

Why dont you use more malt extract or dex? they will lift ur %alc. dex will just give you alc% and no taste. malt extract will give you taste and alc%.

I have been using Vodka in my airlock. I scored a couple of old bottles from my Nannas. She recently moved out of her house of 50 years, I scored all kinds of spirits! So yeah, Vodka all the way for me. If a little drops in my beer, all the better.

make sure you do a rough calculation of what the expected outcome %alc will be. cause if its too high you'll kill your yeast. really high alc% need differant yeasts like champaigne or cider yeasts. but I dont think you have to worry until your at about 10%.

Why dont you use more malt extract or dex? they will lift ur %alc. dex will just give you alc% and no taste. malt extract will give you taste and alc%.

what about using two yeasts?

next brew i think im going to use 3kg of lme and 3 of dex...

what is a neutral spirit that i could use? surely not vodka

6kgs of fermentables?! That will be a monster! I don't think it's the amount of yeast, it's the amount of alcohol that kind of yeast can handle, so I doubt it would matter if you added 5 yeasts.

Like someone mentioned above, might need a champagne yeast or something.

I just throw Iodophor into my airlocks... Vodka's for drinking!!! :)

I usually would too, but;
*We're talking free Vodka here.
*It's Karlofff, nothing fancy.
*It's in a bottle i've never seen before, meaning it's probably 20 or more years old.
*I have had a dribble left in the bottom of a bottle for ages now, and probly filled up like 4 or 5 airlocks with it. It uses such a small amount to fill the airlock, you wouldn't even notice it was missing.

Not a fan of the stuff, that's why it goes in the airlocks....missus buys the stuff, lets just hope she doesn't notice it going missing :ph34r:

Airlocks destroy a future grain storage bin. No need for them. Simply loosen the lid.

cheers

Darrens

the alcohol evaporate rather quickly.
Bloody waste, I say
Kettle and a grain of Sanitizer.....
Which one?
U CHOOSE

Latest posts

Back