Warning To Those With Erlenmeyer Flasks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advantage of using erlenmeyers for me is

1. they are free
2. they sit nicely on my stir plate.
3. they are free

Cant get a wooden spoon in an erlenmeyer so cant stir it to prevent boil overs hence the saucepan. Also, a 6L elernmeyer barely fits under the range hood......

Free??? Maybe you should get some "free" anti-bumping granules for these guys! :)

Scratching the bottom of the flask might help stop "bumps".

Or also make sure you don't fill the flask more than about 1/3 of the way to full.

It actually reminds me that I had a pyrex jug that did a similar thing i...
... my noggin or I think I would have worn the jug of super-heated water.

Mick

heheh thanks for the share mick, makes me feel better.. i wish i had mine on video, but it happened so fast i wouldnt have even had time to move my hand away from the flask let alone stop for photo ops.
anyway, i would have thought that the malt extract ( i use liquid ) would have been enough impurities to prevent superheating on an old electric stove top..

so from now ill use a lower heat and might add a hop pellet to the starter to break up the surface tension and provide nucleation points, but yes the point for me of using erlenmeyer flasks is the fact that i dont have to risk contamination through secondary contact, and im lazier.. ;)

cheers all.

Back