Warning! (leaving Fresh Wort Out)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just show's the level your at mate. I've bottled a few batchs knowing, but hoping they were ok, when i really should have just fed them to the lemon tree.
I'd actually consider myself an intermediate brewer..no newbie by any stretch of the imagination.I also did quite a bit of research , after a long period of k&k brewing before I started AG.I am , however still learning ! The day I stop doing that, is the day I die lol

lesson learnt - DON'T ever EVER EVER taste a pre-boil wort sample. you will pee out of your bum and it will come on so quickly you'll get a fright.

I always do this and I have never had to rush to the outhouse for a pending rear end explosion.

Cheers

If you get into same situation and run out of time, just do a 'no chill' and put the wort into a sanitised cube immediately you turn the heat off. Search this forum for no chill and you will find plenty of info.
Its just a matter of sanitising a 20L cube and putting the wort in HOT. Remove as much air as possible and seal it up. Rotate so that the handle etc gets hot wort in it to sterilise. Then sanitise around the lid and allow to cool naturally

Then you can chuck it in a fermenter later no probs at all, heaps of people do this.

And dont worry about the harsh replies you get here mate, some people here have forgotten thay once were newbies too.

Why do you 'expert brewers' have to flame this bloke.
Counting posts and commenting like that is just poor form, no excuse for it.
Is it any wonder a newbie doesnt post often when you reply the way you have here.

I applaud the guy for forgoing ego and posting a mistake - I get the feeling sometimes that there are some whose ego would never let them post a blunder and allow someone to learn from their negative experience.

Sounds like he's learnt not to leave boiled or unboiled wort this long again and that there is more nasties in grain and airborne than he knew. If a lesson is learnt then there is some good out of it all - and if someone else learns the lesson without having to make the mistake it's even better!

On the topic of grain & nasties it's important keep your milling dust away from your later brewing action as well, brewries tend to have seperate rooms for the milling which contains exhaust fans.

If you get into same situation and run out of time, just do a 'no chill' and put the wort into a sanitised cube immediately you turn the heat off. Search this forum for no chill and you will find plenty of info.
Its just a matter of sanitising a 20L cube and putting the wort in HOT. Remove as much air as possible and seal it up. Rotate so that the handle etc gets hot wort in it to sterilise. Then sanitise around the lid and allow to cool naturally

Then you can chuck it in a fermenter later no probs at all, heaps of people do this.

And dont worry about the harsh replies you get here mate, some people here have forgotten thay once were newbies too.

Is it any wonder a newbie doesnt post often when you reply the way you have here.

Wouldn't you need to do at least a short boil to kill of any nasties from the grain? I've often thought about this. Do the mash one day, take to the boil and cube, then complete the hop additions at a later date. Would mean that i could make two differently hopped beers from the same mash. Doing this would cost more in gas and take longer, but could be good if you're short on time. Fortunately i've never been that short on time. :)

Another thing is, the OP will need to give his fermenter a really good clean, or throw it out. I know a lot of people chuck their fermenters if they get an infection.

Last Saturday I mashed a bunch of grain but ran out of time to do the boil etc.

Superoo, he's not talking about boiled wort. He means his runnings from his mash tun.

I'd have thought the concept of No chill won't help much (at all) at mash temps to sanitise anything.

I applaud the guy for forgoing ego and posting a mistake - I get the feeling sometimes that there are some whose ego would never let them post a blunder and allow someone to learn from their negative experience.
Yes and i do too.
I have emailed him an apology for my post last night.
As my wife pointed out..."this is not like you"
I have no excuse . I do try , as often as possible , to be positive.
Seems Ferg turns a little feral on 4 hours sleep.... :(
I hope Wignall's next beer is a cracker !
Ferg

yea putting the unboiled wort into a cube 'no chill' would result in the same thing the OP experienced - explosive sour mash.

Put aside the time to do it all in one go, including prep and cleaning up if possible. can be a little off putting to your brew day when your hands smell like vomit from cleaning out the mashtun left from last weeks brew. if your super time-poor just spending an hour the day before getting everything cleaned and prepared can make for a seamless brew session which makes it heaps quicker.

In the past if its gotten late in the day when i started brewing ive got the wort into the boiler, got it to a boil, put the lid on and gone to bed too tired, and finished off the full boil in the morning. but this just wasnt quite right either, i cant recommend it.

also, il most often have a hot scotchy with the first runnings, and havent noticed the explosions... :lol:

sim

S/He's hardly been harshly flamed.

You make very valid points- it's just hard to view someone who's full mash brewing as a noob/newbie though.

Wow didn't think I'd receive this many replies.

First of all, I wanted to post this mistake in hopes that other 'newbie' AG brewers didn't make the same mistake I did. Not to get hammered by more experienced brewers for screwing up. I don't mind having the piss taken out of me and I'm not concerned with my pride when it comes to making mistakes. However, thanks to those for sticking up for me in this harsh place.

As for "learning to walk before you can run" I hear what your saying. I have read J Palmers book and have been brewing AG for about a year (2 years k&k/partial prior)with no problem. I know there are nasties present in wort and it needs to be boiled but I guess I was unaware they would come to life and eat my sugars in the course of that time. Can't remember reading that in the book but maybe I missed that chapter?

Anyway most of my interactions with other home brewers have been very positive so I won't let that deter me from trying to make better beer for a weekend hobbie.

However I will think twice before posting anything again.

Cheers,

QUOTE Manticle-
"it's just hard to view someone who's full mash brewing as a noob/newbie though."

I sort of agree to a point Manticle, but from what I remember, the step up to all grain was really daunting, and theres just so many variables that i think we are all 'noobs' for a fair while.

One of the best bits of advice I had when lurking the forums and asking questions about the step into AG was 'just do an AG brew' and see how it goes.
This approach created so many doubts when I actually did my first one, so I put some bretty basic questions out there (on another forum initially).

Anyway, no probs, a good brewing weekend to All....

First of all, I wanted to post this mistake in hopes that other 'newbie' AG brewers didn't make the same mistake I did. Not to get hammered by more experienced brewers for screwing up. I don't mind having the piss taken out of me and I'm not concerned with my pride when it comes to making mistakes. However, thanks to those for sticking up for me in this harsh place.

As for "learning to walk before you can run" I hear what your saying. I have read J Palmers book and have been brewing AG for about a year (2 years k&k/partial prior)with no problem. I know there are nasties present in wort and it needs to be boiled but I guess I was unaware they would come to life and eat my sugars in the course of that time. Can't remember reading that in the book but maybe I missed that chapter?

Anyway most of my interactions with other home brewers have been very positive so I won't let that deter me from trying to make better beer for a weekend hobbie.

Cheers,

Don't be over sensitive.

You're right in posting your mistake for others to learn from. Can't expect not to get a bit of a surprised reaction from some though. If you left steak out on the bench for 6 days and were surprised it went off, I'd have a similar reaction.

I'm one of the first to acknowlede my continuous screw-ups and laugh at myself for dumkopf mistakes (about to reply in a thread doing just that).

You need a thick skin on the internet (and I would argue in life generally) so post away.

So what if you cop a bit of shit? I have and I no doubt will again. Best of luck with your next batch.

It was probably simply taken for granted so much that it was not specifically stated in the book.

A little bit like the UK-published "Brew your own Real British Ale" talks about casks, but since they are so ubiquitous in the UK does not bother to picture them or explain what they are.

S/He's hardly been harshly flamed.

You make very valid points- it's just hard to view someone who's full mash brewing as a noob/newbie though.

I agree, I think of all grain brewers as advanced too, but then again I brew all grain now and i dont even think im intermediate.

I think that people with basic knowledge jumping into all grain is a product of the environment of AHB. Every time there is a post from a K&K Brewer who's thinking of trying steeping grains and asking whats the next step the reply's seem to be dominated by "Go All Grain mate BIAB get into it"

Same as anything the leap can look daunting and it is but once youve made is successfully you look back and cant believe you were so worried.

I agree, I think of all grain brewers as advanced too, but then again I brew all grain now and i dont even think im intermediate.

I think that people with basic knowledge jumping into all grain is a product of the environment of AHB. Every time there is a post from a K&K Brewer who's thinking of trying steeping grains and asking whats the next step the reply's seem to be dominated by "Go All Grain mate BIAB get into it"

Same as anything the leap can look daunting and it is but once youve made is successfully you look back and cant believe you were so worried.
+1 :beer:

Cheers,

Ahhh, welcome to the AHB forum, where nearly everyone has the stuffing pulled out of them at least once for a mistake they've made*...we all strive to be as perfect as possible but sadly many of us are just not quite there.

Back OT, boil it all away and frankly, you've learned a valuable (though expensive and time consuming) lesson. Nearly all the literature / instructions I read insisted on adding yeast as soon as possible, however nothing I recall says to boil the wort as soon as possible after the mash. Maybe cause for a new para in JP online book?

*Disclaimer: no bias - this is not limited to this forum this happens on EVERY forum I've ever seen

Ok to gain some positive discussion from this thread, how can you pause a brew to commence another day? Is there any way, say something came up halfway through a brew. The only place seems to be after grinding and before mashing. I guess you can boil for 5 mins and cube after mashing if you have to, but such a waste of energy.

Cheers,

Stick at it and don't worry too much about negative comments.
I attended my first brew gathering yesterday and by watching and asking loads of dumb questions learned tons of things even got to drink a few beers which is good as it gives you a comparison to consider the state of your own beers.

Only question I have is it does not seem that much of an effort to do a boil considering the fact you got all that volume up to 65C for your mash should not be much more energy to heat up to do the boil.

BTW yesterday saw demos of BIAB and 3V methods of brewing and some shiny bling and lots of big electric urns. :chug:

Back