Warning, Flying Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flattop

Reaction score
Tonight i was reaching behind the bar to grab a paper i had sitting there and i happened to rock a bottle of stout a mate gave me a few months back.
I was aging it a bit as it was brewed this year, anyhow i saw it rock then fall from around 2ft from the ground and hit the slate floor.
Man did she go off, i was hit in the face and wrist with flying glass, stout spewed across the bar floor, up the cupboard and all over the bar fridge.
I've cleaned it up but i reckon i'll be finding glass for weeks.
Anyhow my face is fine and i have a superficial 90* cut on the back of my wrist about 5mm across that bleeds like a stuck pig.

I keep most of my bottles in boxes but i have a few loose ones on the bar due to lack of storage space... have to rethink that one as it's the 2nd time i've had a bottle go arse up...

Anyhow time to change my band aid and have a beer.......

Ouch!

Glad the injury extent is not too bad.

More reason to use kegs I guess...

Tonight i was reaching behind the bar to grab a paper i had sitting there and i happened to rock a bottle of stout a mate gave me a few months back.
I was aging it a bit as it was brewed this year, anyhow i saw it rock then fall from around 2ft from the ground and hit the slate floor.
Man did she go off, i was hit in the face and wrist with flying glass, stout spewed across the bar floor, up the cupboard and all over the bar fridge.
I've cleaned it up but i reckon i'll be finding glass for weeks.
Anyhow my face is fine and i have a superficial 90* cut on the back of my wrist about 5mm across that bleeds like a stuck pig.

I keep most of my bottles in boxes but i have a few loose ones on the bar due to lack of storage space... have to rethink that one as it's the 2nd time i've had a bottle go arse up...

Anyhow time to change my band aid and have a beer.......

Had that happen a few times but without the blood, the longer an unfiltered brew sits at room temp the more pressure can build up. If I want to age a beer, like a RIS or IPA, I will carbonate at room temp for a month or so and then they go in the fridge to mature.

Andrew

another thing with beer bottles is if you drop them on their side they'll explode in a much more spectacular fashion than any other breakage. A 2 foot drop from a shelf sounds like it would be right for that, is that what happened?

I knocked a bottle off a shelf from about a metre up... I was leaning over it as it fell. I literally sharted when I saw it fall but was slightly relieved when I saw it was a PET bottle. Oh lord, the clean up :S

Sounds like you're pretty lucky with no facial injuries. Though these stories suck it's a good reminder and reality check.

I literally sharted... Oh lord, the clean up :S
:blink:

I've got a bunch of bottles that ended up a bit overcarbed that have been sitting for over a year now. I think it's time to get rid of them in case they go off in the summer.

I had a bottle break while bottling years ago and impaled my hand on it (not intentionally); removed my hand from the shard and bright red blood pumped meters, hit the ceiling. Bled massively, liters. Called ambulance, took me to ER. Had laughable moment: I told the young doctor I'd pranged an artery, she said no, impossible, then removed pressure bandage, at which blood squirted up and hit the ceiling. Dr shreiks: "you've cut an artery!".
Excellent Dr Moore at RAH spent 3 hrs in theatre fixing my ulnar nerve, so now my L hand almost works.

Overall very scary experience, nearly fatal.

Glass is v dangerous and should be taken seriously.

Glad to hear the injury is minor.

Peter

It was a side on explosion, the cut is small but just missed a few veins on the back of my hand, i'm more sad at the loss of beer, it smelt damn fine for a kit beer... in fact the bar smells nice tonight, kinda chocolate stout...

Ok the best thing is that with 24 hours to relax i am sucking on Dr Smurto's GA (sorry doc) and laughing about it now...
It was a kit brewed by someone else anyhow (how good could it be???)

I do mourn the loss of the bottle though, i don't have so many....

At work once I placed a bottle of Asahi on top of another carton. It lost balance and fell off, hitting the floor upside-down from just one bottle height, a total fluke. The thing went off like a mini-nuke, there was literally a small mushroom of foam spray. Beers don't have to fall from very high to explode, and they don't have to be super-carbonated homebrews to explode impressively. At least it was only an Asahi.

Latest posts

Back