Warming Alcohol Flavor - Can It Be Removed Or Adjusted?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
OK so long story short, my West Coast Hop Blaster got a little warm from the 6-12 day mark, around 22 but might have hit 24-25 when I was out. It was tasting great but had not hit FG so I let it keep going. Tasted last night and it's lost some flavor and has a noticable warming bite to it on the back of the throat/tongue. It's really not what I wanted! It's in a keg now in the fridge chilling. Is there anyway this might fade away, or could it be improved by watering down (only 15ltr in the keg) or watering down with another beer etc? Or any other tricks?

Maybe dry hopping in the keg might help? That's what I'd try first but my experience with this is very limited....

Might not help with this style, but in big Belgian beers, over time the hot alcohols react with esters and other components of the beer to create new flavor compounds. I am still drinking my first coffee for the day, so I can't quite bring the exact details to mind, but the process is slow and happens as the beer ages. Most hoppy beers are not aged to the same degree as the flavors and aromas usually fade.

T.

Latest posts

Back