• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I'm not sure if this is of any help...but I've tried to put together a rundown of the pros and cons between the two mills being discussed in this thread;

Firstly, a quick comparison between the two on the main specs (sorry can't paste tables into the forum);

2008_04_20_203305.jpg
All details taken from respective manufacturer's websites. Please let me know if I've misquoted or misrepresented your product.

So the main points of interest are price and build quality. As with almost everything, you have to pay for quality. BrissyBrew's Mashmaster is no doubt a higher quality product, with fully adjustable, geared, nickel-plated steel rollers. These features, coupled with the Millmaster's 'diamond' knurled finish will (according to the manufacturer) give you a "smoother textured finish to crush your grist". It also sports ball bearings instead of bushes and a half inch drive shaft. For all that, you pay more.

The MonsterMill is aimed at the budget end of the market, although seems to be competitive on most fronts. The rollers aren't geared, so if the gap is too small and you apply enough torque, the drive gear may slip, rather than pull grain through the gap. The rollers are made of a "superior grade of steel", which "should last twice as long..." as rollers "found on most comparable products", but they're not nickel plated. The rollers are 6" (longer than MillMaster's) and the gap adjustment knobs are 303 Stainless steel. For all that, you pay less.

Personally, I will be crushing somewhere between 5 and 10Kg of grain per brew, and average one double (or two single) brews per month. That's somewhere around the 120Kg mark per year. For such a small quantity, I can't look past the Monster Mill. It's strong, has enough quality in the build to last my brewing's lifetime and is very affordable. Rust doesn't need to be a problem, as I will care for the mill properly. According to BrissyBrew's own thread about the MillMaster (during the design process), most people don't agree with me and place performance and quality over cost.

The quality features of the MillMaster would be lost on my application. Either way, I will need to build a hopper.

Plans for a fantastically simple hopper can be seen here. They were published on this site by Chad and plans are available in PDF. For me, the simplicity is excellent, although others may be happy with an upturned funnel or water dispenser...

Good luck!

Silly question... but anyone seen/heard/or know anything about these?

$400 for mill, hopper and electric drive is pretty good value if it will do the job...

Thanks Ross.

You dont get service like that in any shop let alone HBS.

Craftbrewer will definately be my no1 stop for all brewing gear.

Forget the other Mill and buy Millmaster

Thanks again

Bugwan -nice post. I still cant make up my mind now, as you pointed ed out it seems that Mashmaster's mill is the goods for quality, but then again, like you I will only be doing probably 120kg of grain a year, so it may be overkill. However Im happy to go with Aussie quality if the issues people have raised about mashmaster's problems with gearing/performance aren't true. Im not planning on using a motor, just an electric drill, so if thats a problem then i might have to go the MM2.

I will only be doing probably 120kg of grain a year, so it may be overkill. However Im happy to go with Aussie quality if the issues people have raised about mashmaster's problems with gearing/performance aren't true. Im not planning on using a motor, just an electric drill, so if thats a problem then i might have to go the MM2.

I'm in the same boat - the Millmaster just seemed like overkill and after reading the issues people had with running it - I'm a tool tard, thus the easier option is always the best ;)

After speaking with someone and having a look myself I'm still going for the Monster. The main factor is price but suitability for the task bears quite heavily on that. I will probably end up motorising it but it looks like the Monster might be more suited to a temporary drill drive than the MashMaster. I don't think quality is a big factor, it's relative to price and they both look like pretty high quality, robust units.

I seen Warren's Monster in action a couple of weeks ago and trust me you will not be disapointed

Rook

Would we have 5 to qualify for Ross' offer of the 199 MillMaster?

TOF, yes count me in for the MillMaster offer from Ross, Im just getting setup so this is too good to let go, Cheers, Ken.

you do have to build a case for the MM2/3 though. millmaster has a casing with it. crap dang it. I had thought I'd made a decision. leaning towards the monster.

TOF Added below. The lists are getting nice and Long. Looks like alot of brewers will be in on bulk grain buys in the future :p

Monster Mill (From U.S.A $120, provided 2 buyers same area)
1. WWWH (Sydney)
2. Dicko (Canberra)
3. pbrosnan (WA - Dianella)
4. peas_and_corn (Adelaide suburbs - Northeast)
5. bugwan (Melbourne, inner west)

MashMaster MillMaster (From Craftbrewer. AUS. Mill $199 each + postage, 10% discount on handle and hopper.)
1. Pokolbinguy
2. Bakkerman
3. jlm
4. mark_m
5. bindi
6. cliffo
7. Danman (Mill + Hopper)
8. TOF

Either (or unknown at the moment)
1. Dravid
2. PoMo
3. Citymorgue2 (dont care which)
4. Zoddy (tentitive)

my ass is sore from sitting on the fence, sooooo............

1. WWWH (Sydney)
2. Dicko (Canberra)
6. Citymorgue2 (Melbourne, Eastern suburbs - nunawading)

MashMaster MillMaster (From Craftbrewer. AUS. Mill $199 each + postage, 10% discount on handle and hopper.)
1. Pokolbinguy
2. Bakkerman
3. jlm
4. mark_m
5. bindi
6. cliffo
8. TOF

1. Dravid
2. PoMo
3. Zoddy (tentitive)

1. WWWH (Sydney)
2. Dicko (Canberra)
7. reVox (Melbourne, South Melbs/Albert Park)

1. Pokolbinguy
2. Bakkerman
3. jlm
4. mark_m
5. bindi
6. cliffo
8. TOF

1. Dravid
2. PoMo
3. Zoddy (tentitive)

Is there a cutoff date we're looking at to go ahead with this?

Cheers all,

reVox

Ok guys... Enough have shown interest, so it's on..... To keep it simple, I've set up a discount coupon within the CraftBrewer website.
Simply enter AHBMM within the "view shopping cart" screen & the prices will discount automatically.

This offer will remain in place until 6pm Thursday 24th April. so you have a few days to make up your mind. After this date, the offer will no longer be available.

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

1. WWWH (Sydney)
2. Dicko (Canberra)
8. jel (Adelaide - Henley Beach to Unley)

1. Pokolbinguy
2. Bakkerman
3. jlm
4. mark_m
5. bindi
6. cliffo
8. TOF

1. Dravid
2. PoMo
3. Zoddy (tentitive)

quick question in regards to the monster mill, and upgrades/accessories ...

is there any information out there regarding a suitable crank handle for these mills? searching has revealed a preference of motorising their mills (mainly using drills ... )? if monster mills have still not released a handle, is there a generic one available?

and finally, is there any need for 1/2 inch shaft as apposed to the supplied 3/8th?

cheers guys
jon

Ok guys... Enough have shown interest, so it's on..... To keep it simple, I've set up a discount coupon within the CraftBrewer website.
Simply enter AHBMM within the "view shopping cart" screen & the prices will discount automatically.

This offer will remain in place until 6pm Thursday 24th April. so you have a few days to make up your mind. After this date, the offer will no longer be available.

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Sounds good ross.

Will have to try and stretch the weeks budget...got to pay for mill and march pump this week :huh:

Pok

1. WWWH (Sydney)
2. Dicko (Canberra)
8. jel (Adelaide - Henley Beach to Unley)
9. PoMo (Looking for a second Illawarran)

1. Pokolbinguy
2. Bakkerman
3. jlm
4. mark_m
5. bindi
6. cliffo
8. TOF

1. Dravid
2. Zoddy (tentitive)

Any IBUs looking for a new mill? If not, I'm out.
Cheers.,
PoMo

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Just ran out of time to edit the post :angry:

The current mill stock is low - So this offer is limited to a maximum of 10 mills & only 1 per person. 1st come 1st served - The offer will not be extended.

Cheers Ross

O.K well after all of that...looks like I am am going to pull out.

Cost for MashMaster mill @ $199 is fantastic, but will cost another $80 or so to buy the handle, hopper and have it shipped down. Unfortunatley the extra $$ stretches past the budget considering I have to pay for my March pump as soon as I get paid this week.

Ahh the joys of being a casual employee and a uni student. I guess I will just buy my grain cracked once I finally start AG and look into a mill further down the line. I guess the money will also let me buy all my ball valves etc aswell.

Anyway guys get in quick and order if you want a Mill from Ross...I dont think they will last long.

Good luck to those ordering from Monster aswell...hopefully all goes well.

Pok

Back