• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cortez, i notice the mower in the background, you planning on running the mill with that?!! nice simple setup. cheers for the pics

I was hoping to make a lawnmower beer :D I replaced all hop additions with grass clippings :lol:

As an aside...

I had the gap set somewhere between 0.80mm - 0.85mm - no trouble with stuck sparges

Haven't measured efficiency yet though - will tonight when I pitch yeast

Cheers

Hi Cortez,
How was the crush at 0.8mm? And how did your drill cope with this narrow setting?
I'm also curious what efficiency you got Cortez. I used my MonsterMill2 for the first time on the weekend, and had the following results for 2 brews:
Pilsner: 1.2mm gap - 62% efficiency (mash pH 5.6)
Bitter : 1.0mm gap - 70% efficiency (mash pH 5.3)

I usually get 75% consistently with grain crushed by G&G, so this is a little down on my usual.

The Pils had a high mash pH, which won't have helped, however I think the crush was a big factor.
Plenty of flour in both cases, and I was hesitant to take the gap any narrower, however I may do this in future if my drill can handle it.

Maybe we need a new thread for people to post their crush information and efficiency?

Hey Hutch I'm running my MM2 with a gap of 1.1mm. I'm routinely getting around 80% at the moment on double batches.

FWIW I pay no mind at all to my mash pH.

Edit: I just noticed you're up the road in Northcote so our water should be similar.

Warren -

Hey Hutch I'm running my MM2 with a gap of 1.1mm. I'm routinely getting around 80% at the moment on double batches.

FWIW I pay no mind at all to my mash pH.

Edit: I just noticed you're up the road in Northcote so our water should be similar.

Warren -
Hey Warren - I noticed that you're mill is motorised, and therefore probably running at about 150rpm (correct?). I know this is the ideal speed to minimise husk damage, but could it also also produce a better crush, and higher eff.?

I thought the crush looked great

Drill had no problems running - it gives a little kick initially but then runs fine

Will post efficiency tonight

I was getting between 75-80% with my marga - which was set at around 0.9mm from memory

Cheers

Hey Warren - I noticed that you're mill is motorised, and therefore probably running at about 150rpm (correct?). I know this is the ideal speed to minimise husk damage, but could it also also produce a better crush, and higher eff.?

Hey possible Hutch but I'm no expert. You should be able to pull your drill down low enough to get around 150 rpm? I know when I used to use my cordless on my old Marga it was possible. OTOH I'm not sure if a cordless has the grunt for a monster?

Warren -

Hey possible Hutch but I'm no expert. You should be able to pull your drill down low enough to get around 150 rpm? I know when I used to use my cordless on my old Marga it was possible. OTOH I'm not sure if a cordless has the grunt for a monster?

Warren -
I use a Bosch green 14V, which has plenty of torque in the low-speed setting, though not sure how it would cope down at 0.8mm.
Will have to do a few mini test brews this weekend to get it sorted.

where did you blokes get your feeler gauges from?

You could use a drill bit (part you normally stick into your drill) to set the gap if you don't have a feeler guage, to get you by.

Cost me a tenner for one in metric from Super Cheap last week.

Looks the goods as it has 0.05mm increments, gives me spot on 0.85mm which most people seem to be gapping their rollers at.

With a 0.08mm gap i got high 70's which was normal for my system

Cranked it down to 0.07mm on the weekend

Didn't cause any issues in sparging

But haven't measured gravity yet (and won't with another cube on the run way before saturdays brews)

Interested to see if there is any change

Cheers

With a 0.08mm gap i got high 70's which was normal for my system

Cranked it down to 0.07mm on the weekend

Didn't cause any issues in sparging

But haven't measured gravity yet (and won't with another cube on the run way before saturdays brews)

Interested to see if there is any change

Cheers
Hey Cortez
I think you might be out by a factor of 10. 0.07mm is as good as closed. A piece of paper is 0.10mm thick. <_<

Latest posts

Back