Wanted: Electrical Hardware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have some of these if anyones interested.....

The switch on the top right looks like it might be handy, does it have a back? Or is it open?? (can you post a pic of the backside of it?).

As well as a couple of the other outlets might be handy.

How much??

Cheers, Pok

Its going to be a monumental first AG pok. With all this effort your going to........ :rolleyes:

Its going to be a monumental first AG pok. With all this effort your going to........ :rolleyes:

Yeh it better turn out good...haha....nahh just wanted to cover all bases in one hit instead of having to keep upgrading. Down hill straight now...once the electricals are done its on like donkey kong :D

Pok

It's nearly as much fun keeping an eye on POK's efforts as it is watching Franko finish the red rocket! :lol: :p

An interlock is a switch, mechanism or controller that prevents both from being turned on at the same time. A simple DPDT switch will do - connect the supply to a master on/off switch through a fuse, then to the commons/poles of the DPDT, then connect the loads to the two throws of the DPDT. That way you can only turn on one or the other, not both. More elaborate setups using relays, microcontrollers and SCRs are also possible, but the switch'll do. This one will do the job nicely, along with this cover. They also have illuminated switches in the same size and current rating which you could use for the master. You'll need a wholesaler for the outlets/inlets, though it shouldn't be terribly lethal on your wallet. At a pinch you can always just use permanent connections, with a standard 15A mains plug and lead going to the wall.

You will need the sparky to replace your 10A outlet with a 15A one, assuming you haven't already got one, which will hurt more. I can't recall if 15A plugs fit 20A sockets, but if they do, find out if it'd be any more expensive to get a 20A one put in instead, will give you more headroom for upgrades later. Three phase is probably prohibitive, you're operating under the same sort of budget as I am.

Just reread your last post. You can do a four way interlock by daisy chaining switches. Power comes in on the commons, one throw goes out to the load, second throw goes to the common on the next switch. That way the first load has to be turned off for the second to get power. You'll probably want to be able to power your march pump at the same time as an element though, so maybe just use the interlock for the two. If that's not clear I'll knock up a diagram when I've had some sleep. BTW, you don't need big ugly connectors for the pump and aux outlets, cheaper 10A ones will be fine. It might also pay to run them off a separate 10A outlet if that's feasible, so you don't have to worry about pushing the 15A limit.

EDIT: don't let him convince you that 10A will be fine for a 3kW element plus extras. If it starts a fire, it's your arse not his.

If you are handy with electronics I have a schematic that I grabbed off the net somwehere that will drive two solid state relays and proportion the power to them, one for the kettle and the other for the HLT.

If you are handy with electronics I have a schematic that I grabbed off the net somwehere that will drive two solid state relays and proportion the power to them, one for the kettle and the other for the HLT.

Ok I'm lost...what would that do???

Pok

Back