Want to hear about ways to work with 10A outlet limits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adr_0 said:
Have you got RCD's and circuit breakers?
We have 2 rcd's and a main safety switch/breaker.
The other dozen circuits are ceramic fuses

This bad boy. Plus another bit just as ancient outside the pic frame
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496641524.165202.jpg

Great answer! I wasn't having a go I just went down the making a rig path myself and was never happy with it. It was my better half who really changed my thinking when she said "If you needed a new drill you wouldn't make one from scratch. So why are you making a brewery from scratch?" I went with a BM and am very happy with my choice, still plenty of room for tinkering in many other areas but the BM is great for me. You still have to talk to many people and learn a hell of a lot to make beer with it but enjoy the build. I enjoyed the build just not the results I got when brewing with it. (I made a 1vessel BM type system)

IIRC the remaining fuses are there because the CB's from Bunnings won't fit - the other ones have already been changed out. I had a board exactly the same and they were slightly different sizes.

Good to see the RCD - hopefully it's covering everything.

The circuit breakers look like the HPM 16A C curves. If you have your brew element(s) on one of these you can draw 20-30A for a couple of seconds but more than this will trip out straight away.

This is enough to cover elements turning on (probably 14-15A for a 2400W) but your fuses are an unknown - they may trip straight away or may allow too much for the wiring at continuous load.

philistine said:
This bad boy. Plus another bit just as ancient outside the pic frame
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496641524.165202.jpg
At a glance it looks like you have 3 lighting circuits (1,2,3) and two power (4,5). Plus plug-in CBs for your stove and hot water. If you know a sparky it wouldn't cost much to replace the ceramic ones with the correct rated plug-ins but technically this shouldn't be done by a licensed person as their kA ratings no longer comply with the minimum fault current standards.
Applaud your initiative. You seem to be doing your research and seeking licensed helo. I did similar a few years back upgrading my brewery and now I'm about to sit my A grade exams. Men and their hobbies eh?

Adr_0 said:
IIRC the remaining fuses are there because the CB's from Bunnings won't fit - the other ones have already been changed out. I had a board exactly the same and they were slightly different sizes.
If that's the case the options are grim. Be worth checking with a wholesaler jic though. Bunnings range is pretty slim.

Bridges said:
Great answer! I wasn't having a go I just went down the making a rig path myself and was never happy with it. It was my better half who really changed my thinking when she said "If you needed a new drill you wouldn't make one from scratch. So why are you making a brewery from scratch?" I went with a BM and am very happy with my choice, still plenty of room for tinkering in many other areas but the BM is great for me. You still have to talk to many people and learn a hell of a lot to make beer with it but enjoy the build. I enjoyed the build just not the results I got when brewing with it. (I made a 1vessel BM type system)
Yeah all good- didn't think you were having a go!
I just started typing and it all just blurted out.
Im always explaining why i choose the "hard way" to my friends and family . Some understand some dont. Some get on board, but most dont [emoji41]

I might try building a robofather from scratch tho.....

alternatively you can buy higher rated 10A extensions as well, and thats actually legal :super: :super: :super: the insulation wont differ, both will be rated to .6Kv. but yes the better cables will be at least 1.0mm^2 csa and even better 1.5mm^2 csa.

but yes having load across 2 circuits is the simplest method. just need to keep your loads segregated, Having circuits feeding into a device where the neutrals or earthing can become unified is a big no-no. RCD/ELCBs really dont play well in these scenarios.

Yep - noted, thanks!

So, in that case, if im going to have separate neutral and earths for the two individual circuits, would having the SSRs sharing the same heat sink be an issue?
I have those annoying shaped, individual heat sinks, but i had intended on using a large, flat, rectangular one that sits accross the top of the panel with both SSRs mounted to it....

Back