Wakatu Hops (formerly NZ/Pacific Hallertau)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Terrible

• 0 - Never used it

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
A relatively new hop from just over the ditch, I thought this week we could look at Pacific Hallertau?

So what can you tell us about this hop? How do you use them - bittering, flavour, aroma? What kind of beers did you use them in? What hop combinations are they good for? Are they as good as (or better than?) traditional German Hallertau types, or are they just different to them? Are there any commercial beers available here using this hop? Any other tips for using this hop?

Tell us all you know so we can all make the best beer we can. :chug:

From here.

A triploid aroma type developed through the HortResearch, New Zealand Hop Breeding programme. This cultivar was bred through the open pollination of the highly regarded Hallertauer Mittlefrh variety. Pacific Hallertau was released on completion of successful brewing trials in 1994.

Pacific Hallertau displays classic Hallertau citrus and floral aroma character which selectors mark as a real standout. The aroma is supported by a generous oils profile making selection possible for several beer styles from this stylish hop.

The Pacific Hallertau brings something of a blend of new and old-world taste descriptors to the brewers' forum. Orange marmalade aptly describes the citrus aroma notes achieved through late addition. Bittering quality is such that early kettle additions net a soft yet solid finish even in highly bittered beers.

Alpha Acids 5 - 6 %
Beta Acids 6.0%
Cohumulone 25% of Alpha Acids
Total Oil 1.0 mls oil per 100 gram cone weight
Concentration 196 uL Oil/gram Alpha
Myrcene 12.5 %
Humulene 50.9 %
Caryophyllene 16.7 %
Farnasene 0.2 %
Citrus-Piney Fraction 6.9 %
Floral Estery Fraction 1.6 % (Linalool 0.9 %)
Xanthohumol 0.4 %
Other 5.7 %
Applications:

Finds application where a higher oil concentration and proportion of Linalool are required to impact on how the hop character integrates into the final product. Ideally suited to traditional German lager styles and finding wider application to a new generation through the international craft markets insatiable thirst for Pale Ale.

Only used it once so don't have a hell of a lot to offer but I will add that when i used it to finish the bigbrewday DC rye IPA a couple years back it made a wonderfull beer.
I didn't find it had what I would discribe as a clean floral magic noble hop character of same german ones I have used before but it had a spiciness that I thought complimented the rye malt very well.
I'd easily make the exact same beer again with those hops no worries.

Got a blonde ale carbing up with a huge hit of this stuff in the hopback.

Can't state with great conviction yet but I totally love the stuff. Very similiar to German Hallertau but with a more resiny/spicy flavour. Bit of a cinnamon type character in the mix too. Preferred it hands-down to the B Saaz Blonde that I kegged the same day. :)

Also dry hopped with it. I'll be able to report more next week. Would be a stunning hop used 100% in a German Pils IMO. :super:

Also with a bit of luck Shawn from Murray's may comment here. They use it a bit by all accounts. B)

Warren -

i've only used PH leaf hops as 5min and flame out additions, but loved it.
totally agree that a pils done with this would be awesome and spicey.

Hi Guys,
Works well for flavour and aroma additions to a Special Bitter
I reckon it is very complementary to Brambling X when X is used as a bittering addition

Peter

Hi Guys,
Works well for flavour and aroma additions to a Special Bitter
I reckon it is very complementary to Brambling X when X is used as a bittering addition

Peter

Sure would. After smelling the Bremling X before i threw it in the IIPA it waqs the best smelling hop out of all 6 or so i used.

I made an aussie pale ale with it used at a 10 IBU addition FWH and 1g/liter at flame out. the rest was bittered with POR at 45 min and it was a fantastic beer that all were sad to see run out.

I have more to use again. I Might try it with the Bremling X

cheers

Has anyone dry hopped a brew using this?

Would like some feedback if yes.

C&B
TDA

Looks like you're going to be the first TDA.
I say go for it OTOH. Always easier when it's somebody else's beer. :lol:

Warren -

Looks like that is exactly what I will do (with a smidgen of Motueka)

C&B
TDA

Has anyone dry hopped a brew using this?

Would like some feedback if yes.

C&B
TDA

i have TDA.....
dont have beersmith here so cant check exact notes.
but i used it in my usual english pale ale recipe in place of my usual Styrian G's. (my sort of TTLL brew)
i've just ordered another 90g, so yeh, it was good.
I still prefer Styrian, buit it definately had its merits for a change.... spice/vanilla...?

edit: after just reading up the page.... 2 years ago, Warren said he dry hopped with it too....
but then forgot, when he posted today :D

after just reading up the page.... 2 years ago, Warren said he dry hopped with it too.... but then forgot, when he posted today :D

Old age is a curse isn't it! :p

i have TDA.....
but i used it in my usual english pale ale recipe in place of my usual Styrian G's. (my sort of TTLL brew)
I still prefer Styrian, buit it definately had its merits for a change.... spice/vanilla...?

edit: after just reading up the page.... 2 years ago, Warren said he dry hopped with it too....

Oh shit I'm losing my mind. :eek: Thanks for the mental jolt. To be honest I can't remember much about this beer other than the fact I liked it. :lol:

Sorry TDA I can't offer much more about the beer. Maybe that's a good thing?

Kiwi BA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 50.00 Wort Size (L): 50.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.19
Anticipated EBC: 8.6
Anticipated IBU: 24.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
38.9 3.50 kg. Baird's Golden Promise Pale A UK 1.037 7
11.1 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
11.1 1.00 kg. JWM Vienna Australia 1.038 9
38.9 3.50 kg. Barrett Burston Pale Malt Australia 1.037 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Green Bullet Pellet 11.00 1.9 15 min.
26.00 g. Green Bullet Pellet 11.00 18.8 60 min.
20.00 g. Pacific Hallertauer Whole 6.50 2.1 15 min.
15.00 g. B Saaz Whole 7.70 1.8 15 min.
40.00 g. B Saaz Whole 7.70 0.0 0 min.
20.00 g. Pacific Hallertauer Whole 6.50 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US56 US56 Yeast

Warren -

i have TDA.....

LOL! You must be an old fart Warren!

Thanks KoNG, will chuck some into my pale ale tonight.

C&B
TDA

Based on the ripper he dropped at my place a while back, I'd keep him as far away as possible! :lol:

Back on topic ladies......... :rolleyes:
TDA, is it new season flowers you are using...? if so, to turn it around, please be quick with your thoughts.. before i use it in the next couple of weeks.

Faaaaaarrrrttttt
KoNG

Based on the ripper he dropped at my place a while back, I'd keep him as far away as possible! :lol:

:lol: It's outta the bag now. Maybe we should call him PoNG?

Warren -

Back on topic ladies......... :rolleyes:
TDA, is it new season flowers you are using...? if so, to turn it around, please be quick with your thoughts.. before i use it in the next couple of weeks.

Faaaaaarrrrttttt
KoNG

Not new season unfortunately but flowers from 07. Plenty of aroma eminating from the bag that's for sure.
I used said hops throughout the beer. I will report back ASAP!

C&B
TDA

Yum, so 100% Pac Hal.??

Cheers
Mr Granger

Yum, so 100% Pac Hal.??

Cheers
Mr Granger

Thank you Mr Granger :lol: ! Now go and have a nap and dream about Miss Slocum's pussy ;) !

Oops, I tell a lie. There was B Saaz in there as well. Sorry.
Here is said recipe:

Nirvana Knock-off

Date: 13/02/2009
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 32.96 L
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Marks Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg BB Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 87.6 %
0.27 kg Bairds Medium Crystal (150.0 EBC) Grain 4.8 %
0.22 kg TF Torrefied Wheat (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
0.22 kg Weyermann Munich I (15.8 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
16.00 gm B Saaz [6.80%] (60 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
16.00 gm Hallertau Pacific [5.60%] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
26.00 gm B Saaz [6.80%] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
26.00 gm Hallertau Pacific [5.60%] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

1.052 SG
30.6 IBU
16.8 EBC

I have found a really good bag for placing the dry hops into and I am going to chuck straight into the keg.
Going with 15g Pac Hal and 5g B Saaz.

Will save a bottle for you and bring it along to the Grace Brothers Xmas party :p

C&B
Mr Humphries

Back