Wa To Get An "abbey " Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
WA will soon boast Australias first abbey ale, a beer sanctioned by a monastery with brewing history. Most abbey ales are in Belgium, with a few in other European countries. Aussie brewing legend Chuck Hahn has been involved with the hush-hush WA project for the past three years. Ive tasted the 7 per cent golden ale at each stage of development and its terrific. Look out for the launch in September.

quote dick Crossland, WA journo

There was a blurb in yesterdays Worst Australian.
I did'nt know New Norcia had a brewing history, very shrewd of Chuck to jump on to it, must be a good quid on the horizon. <_<

WA will soon boast Australias first abbey ale, a beer sanctioned by a monastery with brewing history. Most abbey ales are in Belgium, with a few in other European countries. Aussie brewing legend Chuck Hahn has been involved with the hush-hush WA project for the past three years. Ive tasted the 7 per cent golden ale at each stage of development and its terrific. Look out for the launch in September.

quote dick Crossland, WA journo
Dick Crossland , must be vic's brother :D Do you know if its actually brewed at New Norcia monastery. It may well be a good reason to pay a visit.And it will be very good for the town if thats the case.Just another case of WA being at the for front of Micro brewing.Well done to all involved.
Cheers Gryphopn Brewing

Just another case of WA being at the for front of Micro brewing.
I think this is great and hope they make some good beer. However, it's not really micro brewing if Lion Nathan is involved.

I think its brewed elsewhere and cellared for a while at NN just get some monastic connection going.
Then if it takes off, in about 12 months the recipe will change and it will be churned out of an eastern states beer factory and flogged off for a small fortune with a nice story on the back of the distinctive bottle.

Nope, I am pretty sure it is not brewed at the monastery at all. They just have a sniff of it after it comes off the truck and approve of it being released as an abbey beer. I can probably find out as Mrs GL went to school there and knows some of the monks.

I think its brewed elsewhere and cellared for a while at NN just get some monastic connection going.
Then if it takes off, in about 12 months the recipe will change and it will be churned out of an eastern states beer factory and flogged off for a small fortune with a nice story on the back of the distinctive bottle.
Sounds like there is a lot more to the story than we know.I hope its not like you said and brewed EX New Norcia with a fancy bottle with a nice history tale on the label(Ripp Off).Its sounding more like a James Squire story ever minute.I hope to be wrong. :(
Cheers GB

Nope, I am pretty sure it is not brewed at the monastery at all. They just have a sniff of it after it comes off the truck and approve of it being released as an abbey beer.
From the people I know at LN that is precisely what happens. That said they are trying to make a real quality beer. I have not had the chance to try it so can't really comment on that.

I tasted it a few months ago.
It is very very very good.
Yes it is made in Sydney, it is fermented on the low side of the temperature scale to keep the esters down and I suspect that the yeast may have come via Wyeast from Westmalle.
A percentage of sales is actually "pumped" back to the monastery.
If you get a chance to try it, please do.

K
(no affiliation ya ya etc)

Yesterdays West Australian paper says the beer will only be available on tap and in 6-packs and cartons at the New Norcia Hotel ONLY.The monks have approved it under Benedictine protocol and chuck has brewed a years supply.
Looks like im going up the highway real soon.

Cheers
Big D

Yesterdays West Australian paper says the beer will only be available on tap and in 6-packs and cartons at the New Norcia Hotel ONLY.The monks have approved it under Benedictine protocol and chuck has brewed a years supply.
Looks like im going up the highway real soon.

Cheers
Big D
Like is said a good reason to visit New Norcia.They have got some fine art work up there thats worth stealing. Dam thats already been done(local history).Looks like just a tasting run.BP just gave me a $100.00 fuel voucher so when its on Im there.
Cheers GB

I tried some tonight, it's not bad at all. Filtered and pasteurised, so the 'cellaring' at the monastary is done for marketing purposes only. Light golden in colour, mid to high carbonation giving a fine white head that laced the glass beautifully. 7% ABV

Huge clove aroma, with hints of other spices like coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste has large doses of fresh coriander seed, restrained sweet malt backbone and a moderate bitterness.

Not a bad beer at all, but the Abbey connection is tenuous at best.

I'll bring along a bottle to the next WCB meeting

But isn't that like all Abbey beers (as opposed to Trappist). The abbey licenses their name to
the brewery and that's it?

so the 'cellaring' at the monastary is done for marketing purposes only.

I suspect there are much more soundly based business reasons for cellaring at the monastry, check with the ATO.

Where the heck is New Norcia?

Straight up the Great Northern Highway Kai.
130 kms from Perth.

Cheers
Big D

I tried some tonight, it's not bad at all. Filtered and pasteurised, so the 'cellaring' at the monastary is done for marketing purposes only. Light golden in colour, mid to high carbonation giving a fine white head that laced the glass beautifully. 7% ABV

Huge clove aroma, with hints of other spices like coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste has large doses of fresh coriander seed, restrained sweet malt backbone and a moderate bitterness.

I'll bring along a bottle to the next WCB meeting
Hi
Where did you find it and how much.
Cheers GB

Hi
Where did you find it and how much.
Cheers GB
I would suspect from the beer shop on Wellington road Dianella / Noranda (Western end near Alexander drive)

Barfridge has "connections" :ph34r:

Yes, it came via my connection, but they don't stock it as yet. Somebody from there took a drive out to New Norcia to grab some, and I was lucky enough to be given a couple of bottles.

Latest posts

Back